Yellowfin latest version(9.10) installation on windows with MySql v8 throwing DB Error

Anil Kumar Kommineni shared this problem 4 months ago
Completed

When I am trying to install latest version of yellowfin(9.10.0.1) using mysql v8, installation got failed. By looking at logs, Please see the attached. Tool is using incorrect syntax of mysql to create the table. Please help me in installing the application.

Query : CREATE TABLE AccessClassList ( IpOrg INT, RoleCode TINYTEXT(40), AccessLevelCode TINYTEXT(40), ACLSeqNbr INT, FunctionName TINYTEXT(256), FunctionTypeCode TINYTEXT(40), SortOrder INT ) engine = INNODB

Error: Caused by: java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax;

check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(40),

AccessLevelCode TINYTEXT(40), ACLSeqNbr INT, FunctionName TINYTEXT(256), F' at line 1

Thanks

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for reaching out to Yellowfin support.

To address the encountered error, please review the following:

1. Please ensure that the database user possesses adequate permissions to create tables. If there are any permission restrictions, granting full control to the database user for the Yellowfin database might resolve the issue.

2. In MySQL, the TINYTEXT data type doesn't require a length specifier (e.g (40) or (256)), as MySQL does not support this specification. Kindly attempt to remove the length parameters from the TINYTEXT declarations in the SQL query to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if you require further assistance or encounter any other issues.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Thanks Sharwari for the reply.

1) The mentioned user has permission to create the table. If you look at the logs the issue is with syntax not the permission. however, I cross checked.

2) Yes You are right, Mysql syntax doesn't contain the length for TINYTEXT, if you see the yellowfin log file , the query generated by yellowfin installation tool has the length. Could you please have a look why tool is generating the incorrect syntax. If I remove the length, I am able to insert the table with same user. However, I can't do this for each table that tool is using. Please guide me in installing the yellowfin application.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Install version 8.0.29 of the MySQL Connector/J JDBC driver on the server before running the Yellowfin installer.

Note: This is NOT the latest version of the Connector/J driver. Yellowfin will not install using the latest (Version 8.0.30) version of the Connector/J driver, even if the above server configuration is applied.

If these two configuration options are done:

• There is no need to create the yellowfin configuration database with the "utf8" options you suggested
  • The yellowfin configuration database can be created from within the yellowfin installer

Please use the above JDBC driver for MySQL Installation. For this error log_bin_trust_function_creators = 1; We have an article in yellowfin I would like to recommend go through the below link

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-install-yellowfin-into-aws-rds-mysql

Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know if anything else arises that we can assist you with.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thanks for your help, I am able to install with the mentioned version of the jar, I really appreciate for your quick response.

Seems like you are SME in this tool, I need your suggestion/guidance in order to upgrade our yellowfin instance(current prod version is 7.1) to latest version (9.10). Please provide the steps for upgradation process.

That helps me a lot.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

If you are upgrading from version 7.1 to version 9, it's important to follow the correct upgrade path. We recommend the following upgrade path:
7.1 -> 7.35 -> 8.0 -> 9.10 (or any 9.x version you prefer).

We have some good info on upgrading Yellowfin on Wiki and Community Knowledge Base, see here -
https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Upgrading+your+Yellowfin+Build
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/%e2%80%8bbest-practice-for-performing-a-yellowfin-upgrade

As per best practices we recommend having a good test environment,
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/replicating-your-yellowfin-environment

Be sure to check the release notes particularly on V9 for the many updates that may impact your setup -
https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Release+Notes+for+Yellowfin+9

You'll likely want to upgrade additional components such as Java, the DB, or the Physical components in particular, as Version 9 does require additional resources.
https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Yellowfin+Server+Specification

You'll need to update the Java references in the application if Java is upgraded, see here -
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/yellowfin-is-unable-to-start-after-upgrade-to-latest-java-version

Java 15 and 16 are "90%" supported in the latest versions though there may be a stray bug or two as this is relatively new. Java 11 is recommended if you run into any issues, please submit here if so.

Also, if Yellowfin has been installed with included Tomcat, you'll need to upgrade Tomcat separately, see here -
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-upgrade-tomcat
9.10 includes Tomcat 9.0.82, which would be the "most supported" version currently.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Thank you so much Sharwari for the details. We will progress with upgrade and let you know if any help required.

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response. I wanted to check if there has been any progress with the upgrade on your end. If you have encountered any challenges or if there is anything I can assist you with, please feel to reach out.

If there are no further questions or assistance required, please inform me, and I will proceed accordingly to close this case.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well,

I just want to touch base to see if you had a chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 2 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.

If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Apologies for the delay in my response, I was on vacation.

Initially, I am trying to do the upgrade on my local system, I couldn't find the version 7.1 here on this page: https://portal.yellowfinbi.com/public/releases/home

Could you please let me know the path Where I can download the windows installer for version 7.1.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response. If you are currently using version 7.1 and trying to upgrade to version 7.3 first, please ensure that you download the 7.3 exe updater instead of 7.1. For detail guidance on upgrading Yellowfin, please refer to the following links:

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Upgrading+your+Yellowfin+Build
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/upgrading-to-yellowfin-7-2
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/%e2%80%8bbest-practice-for-performing-a-yellowfin-upgrade

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I have received a developer license to my private email, the file is corrupted and cannot be opened/used.
I have not received the other two wildcart certificates.

Please have all files recreated and always send them to my official business email address: stefan.hall@drv-bund.de.
Thank you very much

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

I hope you are doing well. It appears there might have been a slight mix-up in the ticket responses. Could you kindly review the information I provided above and let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

When I am trying to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.3.17, I am facing the SQL error. Please see the attached screen shot and log file.

Please help on this

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response.

This error is almost exclusive to MySQL and is related to the character encoding of the database you're installing into.

The character set can be set at a database level, or sever level, so there are 2 ways around this.

1. Create a new database and explicitly set it to use UTF-8
  2. Set your MySQL server level to use UTF-8

For option 1, you can use the query below to create a new blank DB called 'yellowfin' which is set to use UTF-8:

CREATE DATABASE `yellowfin` CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

Note,

the above will created a blank database called 'yellowfin', so if you already

have a 'yellowfin' DB, you can delete it, change the name in the above query.

Once you have done this, re-install Yellowfin, and ensure you do NOT tick 'create

new database' option.

7a0dda8c8b1b0ed71180c6fdc2f039ae

For option 2 , this is done via MySQL configuration, and can be done in a few different ways.

See the following article for some detailed information on this.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thanks for your help, I am able to upgrade to Yellowfin-7.35.17 after changing DB character encoding. but when I am accessing the application, while loading dashboard facing System Error. Please see the screenshot and server log. Please advice.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Could you please enable DEBUG logging, replicate the issue and share compressed copy of debug logs with timestamp of error replication to FTP: https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/ and help me with the name of the file uploaded.

Click the link below to understand how to enable debugging.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-do-i-turn-on-debug-logging-within-yellowfin-log-file

Also, have you tried to restart the Yellowfin server? if not please restart and check how it goes!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope you are doing well.

I just want to touch base to see if you had a chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I enabled debug logs and uploaded to FTP location, The file name is "yellowfin-anil-28761".

Please let me know if any information required.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well,

I have checked the debug logs, but I haven't found any errors in that.

We would like to have a remote session with you to discuss this issue based on your availability. I am accessible from 9pm IST to 6am IST Monday through Friday. Please confirm your availability so we can send you an invitation.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I am ok to have session at tomorrow(11/01/2023) 5:00 AM IST.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response. Could you kindly provide your company email address so that I can send you a meeting invitation?
Thank you!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Here is my email id : anilk@tramada.com, if you have time, we can connect at 5:AM IST as I am in AEST time zone.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Could you please provide your availability for tomorrow? Once received, I will promptly send you the meeting invitation.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

No problem, I am ok with same time tomorrow as well 10:30 AM AEST/ 5AM IST.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

This is to inform you that an invitation to a team meeting has been forwarded to you for 12th January at 05:00am IST(10:30am AEST). To join the meeting, click the following link.

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting

Meeting ID: 420 355 046 841

Passcode: 5z3Tcy

Download Teams | Join on the web

Learn More | Meeting options

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

Could you kindly reach out to your DBA to initiate rollback of Yellowfin to a previous version.
Please refer to the link below for guidance on how to perform the rollback.
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-do-i-roll-back-yellowfin-to-a-previous-version

Feel free to ask if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Do you want me to downgrade first from 7.35->7.1 and then upgrade to 7.1 -> 7.35

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Yes, please proceed with downgrading from 7.35 to 7.1 first , and then proceed with the upgrade from 7.1 to 7.35.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I am still working on the suggested approach, will post you on that.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to your update on the suggested approach.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I wanted to followup and see if there are any updates on the suggested approach. Looking forward to your update.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 2 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.

If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I followed the steps and still facing the system error while loading the dashboard.

Note: I am able to migrate and able to login

Please see the attached error, If required I will be available for screen sharing session.

photo

Hi Sharwari,

After the above error, I tried the following alternatives and the observations:

1) yellowfin 7.1 --> yellowfin-20180226-update: Upgration is successful, also able to access the dashboard and Admin Sections.

2) yellowfin7.1 --> yellowfin-20180226-update --> 8.0(yellowfin-8.0.11.4-20230405-update): installation successful but the server is not coming up. its because of java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.servlet.DispatcherType.

I added servlet-api.jar to classpath, still seeing the error. Please suggest what would be the fix.

3) yellowfin7.1 --> yellowfin-20180226-update --> 8.0(yellowfin-8.0.4-20191216-update): nstallation successful but the server is not coming up. its because of java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.servlet.DispatcherType.

Also, Earlier you suggested the path : 7.1 -> 7.35 -> 8.0 -> 9.10 (or any 9.x version you prefer).

From my observation, it seems release version also matter in this path. Could you please suggest the path with release version wise.

Please see the attached error log for try 2 and try3.

photo

Hello Anil,

I appreciate your efforts in trying different alternatives and sharing your observations. I will discuss these with the wider team and get back to you with the updates.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well.

I have checked with the wider team, and they recommend the following path for upgrading:

7.1 -> Latest version of 7(7.4.16) -> Latest version of 8(8.0.11.4) -> 9.10(or any 9.x version you prefer). Before initiating this, ensure to take a backup of both the database and root folder. If you are working in a test environment, you can attempt a direct upgrade from 7.1 to 9.10.

In case issues persist, please click on 'Click here to continue' (refer to the screenshot). Subsequently, review the error logs and share them with timestamps of the issue replication.

949fe370598f6d9cac7563cc2d73c355Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

When I am trying to upgrade from 7.1 to yellowfin-7.4.16-20201223-update, I am facing null pointer while upgration itself.

Please see attached log file and suggest.

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Also, I want to share my observation and having two questions.

Q1) Is yellowfin 7.1 supports mysql version8. When I am testing datasource test connection, its throwing ClassCastException from BigInteger to Long. Is there any work around to support mysql v8 on yellowfin7.1?

Please see the attached screenshot.

Q2) Can I upgrade only database rather than upgrading the application version. The reason for this ask is when I am upgrading application 7.1->7.4->8->9 , I see db is upgrading but the internal tomcat and corresponding library files are not upgrading. I mean 7.1 uses tomcat6 and 7.4 uses tomcat8, But when I upgraded 7.1->7.4, the installed folder still having tomcat6 rather tomcat8.

Please let me know how to address, if you need more details, I will share my screen and explain you. Please suggest your suitable time.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I attempted to install Yellowfin version 7.1 with MySQL version 8, but encountered an error. To investigate further, could you please share the info.jsp to confirm the exact build and MySQL version you are using? To access info.jsp page, just append info.jsp to your YF URL.
E.g. http://localhost:8080/info.jsp

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Anil,

I hope all is well.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

I am not encountering the issue while installing. Firstly, I installed version7.1 with mysql 5.6. once application coming up, I am trying to connect mysql8 via Admin console--> Datasource.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for your response.

Could you please provide the exact build of 7.1 version you are using? It would be great if you could share the info.jsp page. This will allow me to install me same version in my local environment and conduct a thorough investigation of the issue.

Regards.
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thanks for all your help.

I am able to migrate with this path in my local. path : v7.1 --> v7.3.0 --> v7.4.16 --> v8.0.10.3 -->v9.10.0.1

You can mark this case completed, will let you know if any help required.

Thanks,

Anil K

photo

Hello Anil,

Thanks for the confirmation. Great to hear that! I will now go ahead and mark this case as completed. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns; we would be more than happy to assist you.

Have a great rest of your day!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file