Problem with Custom query entry style for filters in YF 7.4
We did upgrade of yellowfin from version 6.3 to 7.3 for a production environment. In production environment, after the upgrade, we are seeing one issue which is exactly the same as below link.
Unfortunately, we could not identify this issue in the stage earlier. Now the upgrade is complete in production environment we are not able to generate reports related to the store procedure and drop-down list.
We tried to install the latest 7.4 patch in the stage environment, but that was completely different and is not possible to integrate now.
Please consider this as HIGH priority and get the fix for only this issue, we need to get this working in Production Environment.
If you can send us the details of the fix in the database that can be executed. We will do it ourselves.