BMC - Setup Corrupt after using patch installer
After normal installation, I started the service and it was running. Then I started upgrading it using patch installer
Since my service was up the upgrade did not happen properly.
Then I stopped the service and re-attempt the upgrade but then now got db table related error. I think it has corrupted my setup.
Instead of going ahead with upgrade their must be check or prompt message for service stopping so that customer setup doesn’t get corrupted. Is there any way of achieving the same dynamically using code.
This is critical as this can directly corrupt the setup.