BMC - Setup Corrupt after using patch installer

Nikhilesh Aglawe shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi,

After normal installation, I started the service and it was running. Then I started upgrading it using patch installer

Since my service was up the upgrade did not happen properly.

Then I stopped the service and re-attempt the upgrade but then now got db table related error. I think it has corrupted my setup.

Instead of going ahead with upgrade their must be check or prompt message for service stopping so that customer setup doesn’t get corrupted. Is there any way of achieving the same dynamically using code.

This is critical as this can directly corrupt the setup.

Thanks,

Nikhilesh

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Nikhilesh,

I did a quick check on yellowfin-8.0.0-20181031-update-bmc.jar, there is currently a warning message on the "select directory" screen of the upgrade installer:

fcd9e858f9eec8b1a56d99cb8f5110fa

It sounds like this was not a sufficient warning in this case, I could create an enhancement request to developers to

A) change the way this warning is presented

B) implement a running application / service check on the upgrade installation path

Do either of these options sound preferable to you?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

The oprion

B) implement a running application / service check on the upgrade installation path along with either stopping service itself or not allowing to upgrade until service is stopped

is preferred. Because if anyone even by mistake upgrades with service installed it would lead to corrupt setup which in turn will be a huge problem. May I also please know that when can this be resolved?

Thanks,

Nikhilesh

photo

Hi Eric,

I think this is not an enhancement and since system is getting corrupted it should be logged as critical defect.

Thanks,

Nikhilesh

photo

Hi Nikhilesh,

According to developers' definitions, this is a software enhancement, as opposed to a defect. I have gone ahead and created an enhancement request for the ability to check for running service on upgrade. I will mark this ticket as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with further related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file