How to re-use a View Dimension across multiple Views

Scott Keith shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Is there a way to define a Dimension, say a Date dimension, in one View and reference it from other Views? I would like to define a Date dimension once and update its metadata, description and columns names, and then reference that dimension in other Views. Every time we create a new View, we are creating a Date dimension and updating the column names to user friendly names every time. It would make sense to only have to do this once.

thanks.,

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Scott,

Thank you for reaching out. If you're going to create a View with many of the same dimensions as another view, or if you have a few fields that would be time consuming to rebuild manually, you can click the the arrow next to the applicable view in Adminstration > Views > View name, that's closest to the one you are looking to build, click "Copy", replace and remove the fields you don't need, then save the copied View as something else. These are now two different Views:

c242e8203c78157df3ab5f222cf3fc77

I'm afraid there's no way to, for example, Copy & Paste a dimension from one View to another, so this is likely the quickest and most effective method to perform what you're asking. It's more of an all or nothing type of approach, but doing it this way could definitely save a lot of time if you're going to wind up using a few of the same joins and especially several of the same Fields, Columns, etc. The View is what reports are built off of so by design they generally require some manual setup. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Scott,

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going with this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike, Thanks for the feedback. We did take note of your suggestion and plan on using this approach.

thanks,Scott

photo

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update. I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered then, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file