Yellowfin parameter : null/empty values

Angelo Rigakis shared this idea 52 days ago
Awaiting Reply

Hello,

Version: 9.8.2.2

I am using parameter fields in my reports and the default value of the text parameter is ‘empty’, but what I want to know is how do I create filters in the report that ignore this value and bring back data when the data field actually has no data.

I don’t want to force my client to have to put in a value for the parameters.

Angelo

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for reaching out to support. I did some digging and I think we have this request filed as an existing developer task, does this sound like what you're looking for?

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/agent/object/11264

If so I can get your organization added as an affected client for visibility.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the link(s).

I don’t think this is what I’m specifically looking for as your link seems to apply to procedures and variables.

What I’m looking for is to create parameters that can be used in filters. Ok, yes they can be used in filters now, but when I’m creating a parameter I have to enter a default value, and then this default value will be automatically used in the filters too.

Say I have a parameter called, Fruits, and the default value is ‘Apples’.  When I run create my report this parameter is added to the filters and I link it to the database field ‘fruits’.  This report will now by default run for ‘Apples’.  But sometimes I want this report to run for all fruits, not just ‘Apples’ or whatever else I put into the parameter.

The reason why I’m using a parameter is because I have 5 fields that could contain the same value and instead of doing a user prompt for 5 fields, I want the user to enter a value one time (using the parameter) and then the 5 filters could be linked to the one parameter field.

Angelo

Hi Angelo,
sorry wrong lnk haha.
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/allow-null-as-input-for-stored-procedure-parameter
Thanks,
Eric

OPEN ticket IN BROWSER

Eric Hagfors Mar 5, 2024 6:51 pm

Hi Angelo,
Thanks for reaching out to support. I did some digging and I think we have this request filed as an existing developer task, does this sound like what you're looking for?
https://community.yellowfinbi.com/agent/object/11264
If so I can get your organization added as an affected client for visibility.
Thanks,
Eric

Angelo Rigakis Mar 5, 2024 3:33 pm

Hello,
Version: 9.8.2.2
I am using parameter fields in my reports and the default value of the text parameter is ‘empty’, but what I want to know is how do I create filters in the report that ignore this value and bring back data when the data field actually has no data.
I don’t want to force my client to have to put in a value for the parameters.

Angelo

Stop receiving notifications about this ticket
photo

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the clarification, I will do a bit more digging and if I can't find any other similar existing tasks I'll make a new one.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Angelo,

I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into potentially adding this functionality to a future version of the application. I've attached this ticket to the task and added your organization as an affected client for tracking purposes. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I'll mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Angelo,

Received an update from devs on this - they don't see this functionality as being in the product roadmap, and recommend using optional filters in the content as opposed to parameters, which can currently achieve what you're looking for. If you need additional assistance with this you can reach out to a CSM to discuss consulting options. Let me know if you need anything additionally here.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file