Browse page doesn't load. Console gives a 500 error code

Rob Sizeland shared this question 5 months ago
Completed

Hello,

I've created a Yellowfin instance for a customer, but upon importing all the reports the browse page refuses to load.

I can get around it by deleting the forever loading overlay in inspect element so I can go to the Admin console. But anything that opens the browse page (such as Timeline), I get a 500 error in the console when trying to add a report to a post.

It's a completely fresh install of Yellowfin, the customer hasn't interacted with it at all. The only thing I have done so far is add the datasource, views, dashboards and reports. I have done this twice as the first time I thought maybe it was because the AMI used was old so it didn't have the newer updates. But I have used a new AMI that we use with other clients that work fine.

In the logs the only error I can see when trying to go to the browse page is:

YF:2023-11-14 09:56:23.790:ERROR (ContentProcess) - [62] [DA783981] [/BrowseAjax.i4] com.hof.util.ActionErrorsException: java.lang.NullPointerException

com.hof.util.ActionErrorsException: java.lang.NullPointerException...

Any help is appreciated.

- Rob

Replies (9)

photo

Hello Rob Sizeland

Thank you for reaching out to the Yellowfin support.

We are currently reviewing this case. We will get back to you with the findings shortly.

Regards,

Siddhartha

photo

Hello Rob Sizeland,

In order to see the problem and make it clear, I would like to have a remote session. Please let me know your availability for a call. I'm available from Monday to Friday from 9:00 PM to 06:00 AM IST.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I can do 4 PM GMT Wednesday 15th which should be 9:30 PM IST if that works for you?

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm scheduling a call tomorrow at 09:30 PM IST. Please join the meeting using below link.

Teams Meeting

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hello Rob,

I hope this email finds you well. Thank you for joining the call earlier. We appreciate your time and collaboration.

During our discussion, we identified that the Dashboards and reports are functioning properly; however, we noticed a delay in page loading. Upon page inspection, we observed an internal server error (500) occurring during the page load process.

To investigate this issue thoroughly, we kindly request you to provide us with the complete logs. Could you please zip these log files and upload them to our FTP server? Additionally, ensure that you attach the "info.jsp" file and specify the file name.

https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/files/

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings for the Day!

We would like to check, with you if you had the opportunity to read our last response.

Request, you to review and let us know if you have any questions or further assistance is required.

Regards

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I've sent the files via FTP for you to take a look at.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings of the Day!

Upon investigation the logs, it appears that an invalid header is being rejected, that there's an issue with your recent API requests, resulting in an internal server error (500).

YF:2023-11-16 07:30:17.395:ERROR (AuthenticationInterceptor) - [40] [Background] [/api/.env] Request http://3.106.82.137/api/.env was rejected - INVALID_HEADER

To resolve this matter swiftly, could you kindly review and adjust the headers included in your API request? Ensuring that the headers are correctly formatted and valid should rectify the issue causing the internal server error.

Furthermore, we would greatly appreciate it if you could provide us with specific details regarding the API and function you are currently utilizing. This information will help us where the exact source of the problem and expediting the resolution process.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings for the Day!

We would like to check, with you if you had the opportunity to read our last response.

Request, you to review and let us know if you have any questions or further assistance is required.

Regards

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I'll take a look and see what I can find. I just find it odd how it can suddenly change/break the header by just importing reports/dashboards.

If it was an issue with our API request, shouldn't this affect all our clients Yellowfins as they all use the same version build. Wouldn't the invalid header also cause all the other pages to stop working, instead of just the browse page?

I'll update you when I've checked our API request as the files are showing as not being modified...

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your quick response. Sure, Please check and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

There are no API calls being made as it's just logging in to Yellowfin and redirecting to the browse page.

There are no altered files either.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I'll also add that during the screen share we did, you yourself saw there were no API calls being made as we were just logging into Yellowfin directly.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I haven't heard back from you and we are still having this issue.

We would like to get this resolved for the customer ASAP, so if there's anything else we can provide please let me know.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

I hope this message finds you well.

Following our recent discussions with our internal technical team regarding the issue you've been experiencing, we've thoroughly reviewed the logs and examined the `info.jsp` file. It has come to our attention that the Java headless configuration is currently set to true.

d3f02b29de5a451ba443ff5440dc9806

At this point I would recommend taking the following steps:

1. Uninstall the current 'openjdk-8-jre-headless' package and install the complete package of openjdk-8-jre

We believe this change might positively impact the situation. Once the new configuration is in place, please inform us of the outcome.

To update the new java package please follow the link shared below.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-change-yellowfins-java-path-windows

Note: Please stop the running tomcat server and install the full package of open JDK JRE. once the changes are updated please start the tomcat server and login to Yellowfin UI.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

I've done what you've said, but it's still 500'ing at the browse screen. We found out about the headless issue when charts wouldn't load correctly and doing that fixed it. But this isn't the same problem.

I've checked it's the full JDK JRE now instead of headless and the JRE_HOME is correct.

Is there anything else that could be causing the issue?

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings of the Day!

This is to keep you informed that we have submitted a Jira task to the Product Team for further review or clarification. As soon as we hear back from them, I will update this case for your visibility. Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or concerns; we would be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo
photo

Hello Rob,

I hope you are doing well.

We have an update from the Dev team and we would like to check a few more things could you please us with the following details:

Could you please let us know is there any associated ROLE is required for opening any of these reports

Also, is it possible could you please provide us a dummy access to your data source, or to make a database dump file, so that we can replicate this error.

Thanks & Regards,

Priya.

photo

Hello Rob,

I hope you are doing well.

I just wanted to check in and see how it's all going. Could you please help me with the following details to investigate this issue further. If you can get back to me that would be great.

Thanks & Regards,

Priya.

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 4 days have passed without any activity in this ticket.
When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for
the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (1 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.
If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Thanks & Regards,

Priya.

photo

Hello Rob,

Greetings for the Day.

This email is to notify you that we believe that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that this ticket can be resolved for now.
Because of age and inactivity, I am going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed for now. However,
if you ever want to revisit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let us know, we will be more than happy to do so.

Thanks & Regards,

Priya.

photo

Hi Support,

We are experiencing a similar issue on YF version 9.8.2.2, Java version - 11.0.20.1.

It only happens with certain users, not all. Those users are system administrators.

This is the error in the logs

66c751575cf3bf1fc7cb30b47ad8e255
Has there been any solution to this issue?

Kind regards,

Mikayla

photo

Hi Support,

Just a follow up on the above.

Kind regards,

Mikayla

photo

Hi Support,

Just a follow up on the above.

Kind regards,

Mikayla