Yellowfin Upgrades vs Data Export/Import

Richard Shaner shared this question 2 months ago
Completed

What considerations should be taken when considering running the Yellowfin upgrade tool vs installing the latest version with clean Yellowfin database, exporting the reports from the old environment and importing to the new?

We have some instances where Yellowfin is 7.35 and some that are 9.2 and upgrade path is to get these instances to 9.8

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Richard,

I hope you're well.

Exported content from Yellowfin 7.35 is not guaranteed to work with later versions of Yellowfin and you may run into compatibility issues or formatting problems if attempting to do so.

You may already be aware that Yellowfin 7 has been out of support for a couple of years, but our recommended path for an upgrade of such a system is to upgrade to the latest version of 7, to the latest version of 8 and from there upgrade to version 9. Checking content works at each stage.

You are less likely to run into problems exporting content from 9.2 and importing it in a 9.8 but you may still receive warnings about older version compatibility in Yellowfin.

Ideally, the best method would be to install a clean version of the latest Yellowfin alongside your old database, upgrade the original database incrementally as before and then export the content from the upgraded Yellowfin to your new install.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Thank you so much for confirming!

If we follow the recommended path with a clean version of the latest Yellowfin and complete the incremental upgrade of the original database for export/import, is there potential that we will need any other data from the upgraded version of the Yellowfin database? I was thinking of things like user favorites, dashboards, custom content folder security, user security, broadcast schedules etc. We don't want to miss anything perhaps it is better to just use the upgraded database rather than clean install?

photo

Hi Richard,

In the case of retaining favourites and dashboards etc, then using the upgraded database would be best. Please remember to take backups at each upgrade stage.

There have been discussions to allow easy migration of all the non content-related data but it hasn't been implemented yet.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Richard,

I hope you're well. Just checking in here to see how it's going. Let me know if you have any more questions on this topic.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Richard,

I hope you had a pleasant weekend. I'm going to close this ticket due to inactivity but we can always pick it up later where we left off.

If you have any other questions regarding Yellowfin, don't hesitate to raise a new ticket.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file