Restricting the list of available users/user groups e.g. for email

Steve Voller shared this question 13 days ago
Completed

We'd like to restrict the list of users/user groups available for a user to distribute a report to e.g. via email. Currently, a user in one user group can see all the other user groups and all other users.

Is there a way of restricting this list? Ideally, a user should only be able to see and select from users in the same user group.

Replies (6)

photo

Hello Steve Voller

Thank you for submitting this request to the Yellowfin Technical Support Team. My name is Sharwari Inkane and I will be supporting you with this issue.

Please allow me some time so I can investigate this. Meanwhile could you please share info.jsp? To access this page, just append info.jsp to your YF URL.
E.g. http://localhost:8080/info.jsp

Sincerely,

Sharwari Inkane
Yellowfin Technical Support

photo

Hi Sharwari - thanks for your prompt reply. Here's the technical information excluding the licence info:

Operating EnvironmentSystem Properties

Application Version:7.4.7
java.version:1.8.0_292
os.name:Linux
os.arch:amd64
os.version:4.4.0-119-generic
[Show All]

Available Processors:2
Memory in Use:1.0 GB
JVM current total memory:1.8 GB
Free memory:759.0 MB
JVM max memory:3.6 GB
Application Server:Apache Tomcat/8.5.16
Servlet API Version:3.1
JSP API Version:2.3
Application Details
Current Schema Version:20180824
Original Code Version:20180313
Current Code Version:20180824
Import Version:4.49
Build Type:FULLVERSION
Current Session Count:2
Current Session Timeout:1800 seconds
Application Server Boot Time:April 18, 2023 9:18:59 PM CEST
Current Server Time:April 19, 2024 2:22:03 PM CEST (Europe/Berlin +0200)
Request Listener:Initialised
Request Count:1
Configuration Database:PostgreSQL 9.5.25
Encryption Functions:Ok
BIRT Report Engine:Not available
Task Schedule Enabled:true
System Task Manager Enabled:true
Webservices Enabled:true
Hardware Hash:lgAACaFS
Locale Information
JVM Locale:en_US (en)
Request Locale:en_US (en)
RefCode languages:EN_US, EN
Browser interface language:en-US
photo
photo

Hello Steve,

I have checked in the latest Yellowfin version, 9.11.0.1, and I regret to inform you that there is currently no option to restrict the list of users/user groups available for a user to distribute a report. Unfortunately, this means that there isn’t a way to limit the list as you requested.

Additionally, I would like to inform you that Versions 7 and 8 are no longer within our support scope. We are unable to provide support for these versions. I highly recommend upgrading to the latest supported version, Version 9, to benefit from all the latest features and improvements. You can download Version 9 from the following link:
https://portal.yellowfinbi.com/public/releases/home

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with or if you have any further questions.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Appreciate you checking Sharwari. It's unfortunate to see this isn't even possible in v9. For security reasons if a user is in a user group it makes sense that there should be an option to restrict users to only being able to distribute reports to that group. Perhaps this could be an enhancement request?

Upgrading to v9 is on our horizon but it's a non-trival task!

Thanks for your help.

photo

Hello Steve Voller,

I wanted to let you know that I will raise an enhancement request with our product team regarding your need. However, I must inform you that if this enhancement is implemented, it will be available in a future release, version 9.x or higher. Please note, we will not be making enhancements to versions 7 or 8.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need additional information.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Thanks and totally understand that if implemented it won't be backported!

This call can be closed now.

photo

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the confirmation. I will now go ahead and mark this case as completed. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns; we would be more than happy to assist you.

Have a great rest of your day!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

Leave a Comment

Attach a file