Unable to modify Freehand SQL Calculated Fields in View Builder Prepare

Adil A shared this question 2 months ago
Completed

Good afternoon,

I am attempting to create calculated fields at the View level, using the Freehand SQL option.
I can create the fields no problem - ex. Field 1 = a specific field from the form, and Field 2 = a specific field on the form within a broader CASE statement.

Once created, the fields both function fine. However, I am able to edit the calculation for Field 1 (plain) but do not see the edit calculation option for Field 2 (CASE statement). While one can still use CASE statements, this prevents the ability to update an existing calculated field in a View - instead, a new one would have to be created every time a modification is necessary.

Note that at the Report level, calculated fields using Freehand SQL and implementing the CASE statement are editable after creation. But not in the View level.

Would appreciate any help you can provide.

See screen shot - no "Edit Calculation" option is visible.

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Adil,

Thank you for reaching out to Yellowfin Support.

My name is Sharwari Inkane, and I'll be assisting you with the issue reported as Unable to modify Freehand SQL Calculated Fields in View Builder Prepare.

I will take a look at it with the details shared and get back to you with the findings shortly. Please let us know if you have any more questions; we will be happy to help.

In addition to that, could you please provide information on the version and build of Yellowfin you are currently running?

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Good morning Sharwari,

Thank you for the quick response.

See requested info below:

System Information
Application Version:8.0.9.2
Build:20211222
Java Version:11.0.5
Operating System:Linux 4.18.0-513.9.1.el8_9.x86_64 (amd64)

Thanks for your assistance!

Adil

photo

Hello Adil,

Thanks for providing the version information. I have tested the same in my local environment using version 8.0.9, and everything appears to be working correctly. I can edit the calculation for the CASE statement without any issues.

For your reference, I have attached a video recording. Please review it, and let me know if I missed anything or if there is a specific step I should reevaluate.

https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/f/30d348357c87e370

Note: Currently Version 7 and 8 are out of the support scope and unfortunately we are unable to provide support on these versions. I would certainly recommend you to please give it a try by installing the latest supported version which would be Version 9. For your reference, you can get that from this link.
https://portal.yellowfinbi.com/public/releases/home

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Adil,

I hope all is well.

I just want to touch base to see if you had a chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Good morning Sharwari,
Thanks for your prompt responses. I did receive your prior message. I have not had a chance to test it. I will do so and get back to you later today.

Thanks!

photo

Hello Adil,

Thank you for the update. Take you time to test, and feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thanks for the demonstration of how you had it working. It appears that you are successfully able to edit calculated fields in a View on your end. When watching the recording, I noticed a couple slight differences that may or may not be coming into play: first, that you referred to the Table and the Field Name with double quotes (not single, as I had used); and second, when you used the CASE statement, you used InvoicedAmount, which wasn't referring to a Table/Field combination, but just a Field (or a separate calculated field that you had defined). I tried adjusting my case to match your demonstration, without any luck. In fact, I tried to simplify it even, to just do a math calculation comparing the simple and freehand methods. See attached screenshot. All methods of creating the field (simple, freehand, with/without spaces, with/without decimals) work to generate an output of 6 in one format or another. However, even in this situation, without a freehand CASE statement or any logic whatsoever, the freehand fields to do the addition could not be editted. See screenshot showing calculated fields, the translation to the SQL statement, and the preview in the background showing all fields work.

A colleague and I read over the release notes for versions after our own (8.0.9.2) and don't see anything suggesting this was ever a problem that was explicitly identified and/or resolved. In fact, I note on the version 8 release notes page, there is no reference to an 8.0.9.2, only 8.0.9.1 and then 8.0.10.

We are at a bit of a loss. Clearly it works on your end. Could it be something to do with the user role and associated permissions we have? I essentially have all permissions (more than even the System Administrator OOTB role). Or something else not directly related to the calculated field itself?

Thanks for your ongoing assistance.

photo

Hello Adil,

I hope all is well,

We would like to have a remote session with you to discuss further in regards to this issue based on your availability. I'm accessible from 09 pm to 06 am IST, Monday through Friday. Please confirm your availability so we can send you an invitation.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thank you, I appreciate this.

Can we schedule something for Tuesday, Feb 13 @ 1:30pm EST? I believe that works out to 12:00am on Wednesday, Feb 14 IST.

Thank you

Adil

photo

Hello Adil,

This is to inform you that an invitation to a team meeting has been forwarded to you for Wednesday, 14th February at 12:00am IST. To join the meeting, click the following link.

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the meeting

Meeting ID: 450 436 784 249

Passcode: XyW6WZ

Download Teams | Join on the web

Learn More | Meeting options

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,
Thanks for meeting with our team on Tuesday. I had reached out to ask for the file as you suggested for our version. Because we are running on a Unix system, I believe it wouldn't be xxx.exe. Are you able to provide me the name of the file you requested on the Unix o/s?

photo

Hello Adil,

I have found the file for version 8.0.9.2 and successfully installed it in my local environment. However, upon testing, I couldn't reproduce the issue you are experiencing. To further investigate, could you kindly provide the Config DB with schema so that we can replicate the same in our environment. You can share this via FTP: https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/login?next=/files/User-Uploads using this link.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Adil,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 4 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.

If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,
Thank you for your prompt follow-up.
Please do not close the ticket yet. We are still having the issue. Given our set up, obtaining the exe file (which I understand you no longer need) and the Config DB/Schema take some time to complete. We are trying to get you the required information - please provide me some time to get back to you.
Thank you.

photo

Hello Adil,

Thank you for the update. We will keep the ticket open and await the information. Let me know if you need assistance along the way.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Adil,

I hope you are doing well. I am following up on our previous conversation regarding the configuration DB/Schema. We wanted to check in and see if there have been any updates on this.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance or if there are any specific challenges you are facing.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Adil,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 19 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 21 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.

If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Adil,

Greetings for the Day.

This email is to notify you that we believe that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that this ticket can be resolved for now. Because of age and inactivity I am going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed. However, if you ever wanted to revisit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let us know, we will be more than happy to do so.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Apologies for the delay.

We have decided not to pursue this issue further at this point and have identified a work-aroud we will attempt to use in place of the issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

Take care,
Adil

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file