Is it possible to persist dynamic date filter in bookmarks or saved filters?

Nick Eddy shared this question 6 months ago
Completed

I have a requirement to broadcast a report using different filter values (e.g. country) but want to retain the default date filter which is a dynamic offset of current date (last month)

It seems that whenever a bookmark or "current values" option is used with a broadcast it just stores the actual date used in the saved query, losing the dynamic functionality of the date filter.

Please confirm if this it correct?

Replies (9)

photo

Hello Nick,

I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for reaching out to us with your inquiry about Yellowfin's broadcast functionality and the behavior related to dynamic date filters.

You are absolutely correct in your observation. In Yellowfin, when you utilize the "Bookmark" or "Current Values" option in conjunction with a broadcast, the system typically stores the specific filter values that were applied at the time of saving the bookmark or current values. Unfortunately, this behavior does result in the loss of the dynamic functionality associated with date filters, such as the default date filter offset from the current date (e.g., last month).

We understand that retaining the dynamic nature of date filters while broadcasting reports with varying filter values, like country, is a valuable requirement. To address this, we recommend considering alternative approaches, such as parameterizing the date filter within your reports. By doing so, users can select date ranges dynamically when running the report, allowing for flexibility while keeping the date filter's dynamic behavior intact.

If you have any further questions or need any assistance please feel free to reach out t us.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Vamsi,

Thanks for clarifying.

I will have a play with parameters and see if that works.

Thanks, Nick

photo

Hello Nick,

Greetings of the Day!

Thank you for your prompt response. Considering the information and assistance provided, may I kindly request your approval to mark this ticket as completed for the time being? If you have any additional questions, require further assistance, or find the need to revisit this matter in the future, please reach out to us.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Sri,

Just to follow up, if I have a date filter with a default value of 'Maximum Value', will a monthly broadcast with 'default filter values' selected run the report for the max cached month value when run?

Regards, Nick

photo

Hello Nick,

Greetings of the Day!

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to provide you with some important information regarding date filters and monthly broadcasts in Yellowfin.

In Yellowfin, when you have a date filter set with a default value of 'Maximum Value,' it signifies that the filter should use the latest available date within the dataset or the maximum value within the specified date range. This setting is particularly useful when you want your reports to dynamically update with the most current data.

Now, when you schedule a monthly broadcast and select 'default filter values' as the option, here's what happens: The report will run for the maximum cached month value at the time of execution. In simpler terms, it will always display data for the most recent month available in your dataset.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Sri,

So using default filters will allow for dynamic broadcast date filter, but as soon as you deviate from default filter values, the broadcast will use the 'snapshot' of filter values when report run before setting up broadcast.

At this stage I am testing advanced broadcast using separate report with recipient and filter values as this will allow me to pass through dynamically calculated reporting month field.

Just working out if I can populate this report using parameters or if easier to store emails, filter values in a DB table.

Also do you know if I can pass a list of filter values using pipe delimiter to an advanced broadcast?
Example: value in broadcast email/filter value report = "Australia|Canada|Mexico" linked to the IN LIST filter for country in report to be broadcast?

Regards,

Nick

photo

Hello Nick,

Greetings of the Day!

Also do you know if I can pass a list of filter values using pipe delimiter to an advanced broadcast? -- I have replicated with basic report and I can see there is no option to pass a list of filter values using pipe. However I think you can select the INLIST counties by defining the values in configuring filters.

1549eb24dfaaec6cef9cde21650f4401

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Sri,

After some testing was able to achieve what I require.
I created report with list of email and various filter values (including dynamic date) which is used as recipient source for advanced broadcast.
A pipe delimited string value in this report will correctly pass through when linked to an in list filter in the report being broadcast.

you can close this ticket now :)

Regards, Nick

photo

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the reply, I'll go ahead and mark this ticket as completed. Please feel free to reach out to us in the future .

Have a great rest of your day.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

Leave a Comment

Attach a file