Charts don't load. Reports are fine. DevTools Network saying POST <LINK> 500. 2 REQUESTTOKEN Params.

Rob Sizeland shared this question 8 months ago
Completed

Hello,

I have a client using Yellowfin and he brought to my attention that his charts were no longer loading. Nothing has changed client or server side regarding how this could have happened.

I took a look and saw his reports were fine, but when I viewed a chart that was created using a report, the loading circle spins forever.

Taking a look in the Network tab in DevTools, I noticed that there was a Status 500 error that appeared upon loading the chart page leading me to believe there could be an issue with the server. So I've restarted Yellowfin, the server, and even updated to 9.9 to try get around this error. It still has that error upon opening a chart.

I took a deeper look into the error DevTools was showing me, and I noticed that within the MIReportOutputAjax.i4;tab_token=********-****-****-****-************;*=1?REQUESTTOKEN=********-****-****-****-************&REQUESTTOKEN=********-*****-****-****-************ there were 2 exactly the same REQUESTTOKENS being sent in the same POST request, even though when I do the same process on a different customers working YF, there's only 1.

So I'm thinking there is an issue/bug somewhere causing an extra duplicate parameter to happen when attempting to view a chart.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Many thanks,

Rob

Replies (27)

photo

Hello Rob,

Thankyou for reaching out to Yellowfin Support

I need a few details from you in order to continue with this investigation.

1. Is this occurring with all the charts or just one in particular? Could you please try creating a new one from scratch and see if it works for you?

2. Need the complete info.jsp page. To access this page, just append info.jsp to your YF url.

E.g. http://localhost:8080/info.jsp

3. Screen recordings of the procedure you are performing.

4. I require complete logs in debug mode with timestamps i.e Source, yellowfin, jdbc, localhost, Catalina, etc. Here is documentation on enabling debug if you need it. https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-do-i-turn-on-debug-logging-within-yellowfin-log-file

These logs are located in the Yellowfin folder at yellowfin-->appserver-->logs.

In the ftp link provided below, you can share any files or folders. By selecting the upload file option on the ftp link, you can upload the file without logging in.

https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/files

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

1. It effects all charts. A new report with one row will freeze when adding it to an axis.

2. Sent through FTP

3. Sent through FTP

4. Sent through FTP

photo

Hello Rob,

We appreciate your quick response and supplying the system information and recording we requested. Could you also send the jdbc, localhost, and Catalina logs while I have a look into this?

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

I've just added them too.

photo

Hello Rob,

Thank you so much. Allow me some time, I'll get back to you with my results.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

I investigated the problem, and it appears to be a database connection issue. You can use the link I've provided below to troubleshoot your database connection. Please take a look at that once and let me know if it solves your problem.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/troubleshooting-connection-instability-for-data-source-andor-config-db

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

Hope you are doing well.

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Dear Rob,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 2 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed. If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I've checked the Database connection and there aren't any issues there.

In the link you sent, there doesn't seem to be anything relating to the problem we're having.

When loading a chart report, according to DevTools, there is a "POST <link> 500" error which would make us think there's an issue on the server, not a database. When we take a look at the "Request URL" we can see it's performing the "REQUESTTOKEN" twice in the parameter, instead of once like everywhere else. I don't think this is an issue with the database.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Hope you are doing well

I just want to let you know that when charts are generated, temporary disk space is used to draw the chart, and then it is passed to the browser. Could you please check the drive where Yellowfin is installed and make sure you have enough available space.

I also want to know when this problem started. Have you made any modifications?

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I can confirm there is at least 80GB free and there have been no modifications made.

It was working completely fine, then out of the blue, it will stop loading charts.

Before I have got around this with other customers (as this isn't the first time this has happened) by recreated the entire instance from scratch with a new YF, but I don't want this to keep happening especially as a customer has already started working on it.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

We appreciate you informing us about this as well. Give me some time to look into this more thoroughly, and I'll let you know.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

I want to inform you that after further study, all I could find were connectivity issues. Try logging in as a different user to see if the problem is user-specific.

We've discovered that the following steps are typically the best place to start-

Not having enough space on the local hard drive. Charts are created on temporary storage space and then sent to the browser when they are made. Make sure you have enough space on the drive where Yellowfin is installed by checking. I need a screenshot of the df -dh command, please.

The temporary folder used by the application server cannot be accessed or is missing. You just need to ensure the temporary folder is there and accessible by the user used to run the Yellowfin service.

You can also try-

-Changing dashboard loading to sequential. See attached screenshot. This will ensure that each report loads one after the other and there is always a connection available.

b5d536895b4ba335b54e3fa1cda73247

-Increasing the data source max connections to 10. The default is 5.

a6d31ffad9288fdb9d9ff92625429e8d

Furthermore, I need you to send me the yfx file with ski team or yfx with the data source you are using so that I can test it in our system and report the findings to you.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

Hope you are doing well

In addition to my prior post, I also want you to set the row limit in the report settings and then see whether the problem persists.

Admin console-->data sources-->usage parameter

c608909435ee6dc446eb1fd55a99ea36

70588f182180f7c47b02319e0f32b012

For additional analysis, I would also need info.threads.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I've made all those changes and I'm still getting a POST 500 error when loading a chart.

The screenshot of the command I have sent through FTP as well.

Could you tell me where I can find the info.threads file as I'm having a bit of trouble finding it.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

This can be manually accessed via appending \info_threads.jsp

eg: http://localhost:8080/info_threads.jsp

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

No worries, I've uploaded that too.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

I appreciate you sharing; I'll have a look and get back to you.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

Hope you are doing well

I would like to schedule a call. Could you please let me know your availability for a call. I'm available from 2PM to 11PM IST today and tomorrow.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I can do 9:30am BST which I believe is 2pm your time tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

I just reserved that time slot for tomorrow for a different call; is it possible to schedule it for 11:30 AM BST?

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I can't do 11:30am, but I can do 2pm BST, which should be 6:30pm if that's alright?

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Yes, that would be OK to me. I will shortly send you the invitation for the same.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

This is to inform you that an invite to the Teams Meeting has been sent to you for Friday, 1st Sep, at 02:00PM BST. To join the meeting, click the following link.

Click here to join the meeting

Thanks!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Rob,

I appreciate you joining the call; it was pleasant talking with you.

Could you kindly uninstalled openjdk-8-jre-headless and install the full package of openjdk-8-jre as I advised during the call?

Note: 1. Stop the running tomcat server

2. Install the full package open jdk jre

3. Now start the tomcat server

4. Login to yellowfin

Let me know how it goes after doing this.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

Thanks for your help today. Updating to the full package has fixed the issue.

Many thanks,

Rob

photo

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the confirmation. I really appreciate your response. I am happy to hear that the issue is now fixed. I am going to mark this ticket as completed. Feel free to contact support whenever you have any concern or query related to Yellowfin; we would be happy to help.

Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

Leave a Comment

Attach a file