Yellowfin upgrade issue from 7.35 to 9.2.2

Manikandan Appar shared this question 8 months ago
Completed

Hi Team,

Our customers trying to upgrade Yellowfin 7.35 to 9.2 but we are not getting any exceptions in the logs, it is spinning for some time and went to hung status.

We recommend exporting all the reports from 7.35 and installing 9.2.2 version and importing the yfx, can you guide us is the correct approach?

Also, we want to know which modified reports we want to filter and export those reports alone instead of exporting the entire report.

Can you guide me on this request.

Thanks,

Manikandan

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Manikandan,

Thanks for reaching out to support. 7.35 to 9.2 is a pretty big jump, it should work but we often recommend more incremental upgrade paths, such as testing on a more recent 7.4 prior to version 9.

Not sure what exactly is happening, where the spinning is - in the upgrade app itself? Could you provide screenshots?

If this is happening after the upgrader completes successfully, one thing I would check is the Tomcat version - it is not upgraded automatically with Yellowfin and may be old and no longer compatible.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-upgrade-tomcat

We do offer personalized support for upgrades if your organization has available ES time with us, feel welcome to get in touch with an account manager in this case.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/does-yellowfin-offer-help-with-upgrading-to-the-latest-release

Content imported into 9.2 would need to be exported from 9.2 to ensure compatibility.

In regards to identifying export content, you may have success making a report using our Audit Content package-

https://portal.yellowfinbi.com/public/marketplace/home

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything additionally.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

As I mentioned, we do not have any logs where it is getting failed hence unable to provide the logs,

I have attached the screenshot, please refer image where the page is spinning.

We don't want to get any additional components from the marketplace, we just want to know if can we filter the reports when exporting with recently modified reports using a query or settings in the export option itself.

Thanks,

Manikandan

photo

Hi Manikandan,

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to upgrade the instance to version 7.4 or 8 successfully?

If you run a command line install do you receive any messages?

Looking for recently modified times has results in reportheader (reports), reportview (views) and reportgroup (dashboards) so you could filter these tables accordingly.

a5f48bfc619e4624432dc78d307db2c9

Here are some potentially useful DB queries we have on file additionally - keep in mind these are provided as-is and are technically out-of-scope for support so please have good backups before querying the back-end.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/useful-yellowfin-db-queries?access_key=45868-bc10778b

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing the query, really useful.

Regarding upgrading the instance, a practical scenario following all the steps to change the version one-by-one and then upgrade the yellowfin is a very tedious process for the user also we don't access or the end user is not aware of following this step, they will be running only exe with some simple step hence we have recommended exporting the customized report from the previous version and import only those reports in the latest version.

Regards,

Mani

photo

Hi Mani,

Thanks for the reply. You can try this method, however exporting the reports from older versions can't be guaranteed to work or supported unfortunately.

fcccaf2556f4e2225d80d407c8fc5351

Content imported into version 9.2 would need to be exported from 9.2 to ensure compatibility, and is the recommended way forward here. Feel welcome to reach out to an account manager if you need assistance with migrating the content or upgrading the system. Let me know if you need anything additionally.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Mani,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file