How to transfer the configuration of an installagion from one environment (dev) to another e.g. QA

Stefan Hall shared this question 9 months ago
Answered

In the environment you can configure a lot of details like fonts, colors, spacing, email layout and much more.

It's simple, but it's spread over many pages/tabs and there's a lot of licking to do.

To make sure that all our environments are really the same, I would like to transfer the configuration and content settings easily.

Is there a standard procedure or a ToDo reference I can follow?

;) Stefan

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for reaching out to yellowfin support,

When you say you want to move from one environment to another, are you intending a Yellowfin upgrade or are you moving the config database, or both?

By that I mean, if you are simply installing the application elsewhere, if it's the same version then you can connect to the same database. Or if you are just moving the database, you can back it up and restore it and then reconnect your Yellowfin instance to the same database.

There's also the REST API, which has a web service for getting and updating system configuration options, see our REST API dev wiki here) . You could then write a file that includes all those updates to be run in one go.

Let me know if that helps answer your question.

Regards

Nishant

photo

Hi Nishant,

I have set up 3 environments (dev qa and production). In collaboration with our customers we have configured the qa environment together visually.

I want to transfer these settings to production so that the reports, dashboard, storids etc. look exactly the same BUT I don't want to set up the whole confuguration again via the interface. Too much clicking and also too error prone.

I don't want to transfer the whole config DB. There are test persons in it, test rights, etc.

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

I hope all is well,

I don't think there's a developed function for what you're trying to achieve, but we could take a look at some possible options here.

Would you be able to expound on the types of settings you are looking to move over to the new client?

My initial thought is that without a built-in "tool" for this export-import process, you could -

A) Make a "template" YF Config DB by stripping down a test instance or building one from scratch, and doing an install against that DB

B) Locate the desired settings on the back-end (I believe a number can be found in the "configuration" table for example) and import into the new config DB

I could assist with this process to a certain extent, though this would technically be out-of-scope for us.

Regards

Nishant

photo

Hello Stefan,

I hope all is well,

We can export only the Yf content (like reports, views, dashboards etc) from one environment to another but not the configurations settings. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

Nishant

photo

Hi Nishant,

All right, thanks for the confirmation.

Then I'll look at the DB entries in the 'configuration' table and transfer them manually.

For you it might be an idea to make the design transferable (export/import) as well. The detour over further installations or much clicking is not really a good solution.

You can close the ticket.

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for the confirmation,

I will go ahead and mark this as 'Answered', please let me know if anything else comes up.

Regards

Nishant

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file