Does Yellowfin support PostgreSQL-BDR?

Yuu Asakawa shared this question 14 months ago
Answered

A client is considering using PostgreSQL-BDR (logical replication) for their Yellowfin repository and data source.

It seems that some DDL commands are not allowed or supported by PostgreSQL-BDR.

Please check if Yellowfin uses these DDL commands.

https://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/pgd/latest/bdr/ddl/#bdr-ddl-command-handling-matrix

If Yellowfin is using these DDL commands, they need to give up using PostgreSQL-BDR.

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Yuu,

I hope you're well.

This documentation isn't particularly clear as it mixes a lot of what is allowed along with what isn't allowed. If you can compile a list of commands which strictly aren't allowed, I might be able to get a developer to look over it to double check compatibility.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Thank you for confirming.

I copied and pasted the matrix from the documentation into Excel.

I think this makes it easier to filter by Allowed and Replicate columns.

Customer speculates that PostgreSQL-BDR cannot be used as a repository or data source if Yellowfin is using commands where the Replicated column is N.

photo

Hi Yuu,

I had a response from Peter on this one:

Yes, Postgres BDR will not work without primary keys on every single table.. It would not be an issue to add a primary key to 95% of our repository tables, and it would be good to implement Primary Keys because it will help enforce database integrity.

However there are a few tables where all column values can be unique and there is no real easy way to define a primary key on them. We would actually need to add another column to these tables to use as a primary key (maybe like a UUID column or something else unique).

Unfortunately having a primary key is a pre-requisite for many distributed databases, as the primary key is used for sharding the data across multiple database nodes.

As you can see I was thinking about doing this 2018... it was mainly an educational thing, and wanted to see if I could get Yellowfin running on a distributed repository DB. I guess if this is a major issue for a client we can look into it again.

If you need this reopened for a client, I can do so.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your support.

Sorry for delay.

As there is currently no way to do this, I told the client to give up and consider other options.

So while I no longer have a specific client requesting this feature improvement at this time, it is possible that other clients will have the same request as this client when they implement Yellowfin.

Regards,

Yuu.

photo

Hi Yuu,

No worries!

We could certainly raise this as an enhancement with the developer team, however without a specific need, it might be marked as a low priority.

Let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Yuu,

I hope you're well.

Just a quick follow up on what direction you'd like to take here. Otherwise I'll close this one off.

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Yuu,

Hope you're well.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file