Can a Paramater be Referenced in a Freehand SQL Calculated Field?

Jason Kaczmarek shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Can a Paramater be Referenced in a Freehand SQL Calculated Field?

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Jason,

Thank you for getting in touch. Freehand SQL calculations bypass Yellowfin entirely, to query the underlying database, so it is not possible to reference any object that was created in Yellowfin.

However, there are very few cases where using a freehand SQL query is necessary. If you want to elaborate a bit on what you are trying to accomplish, I can look into alternative methods that employ the simple calculation builder (which does allow parameters to be passed)

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

The report I'm building needs to show lifetime hours in one column, but only hours for the previous year in another column. Right now I have a date parameter and if the record date is less than or equal to the parameter, then it's included. It's the hours for the previous year that I'm stuck on. I'd like to grab the year of the date parameter, but there is no Year() function in a Simple calculated field. I could add another parameter for the year; however, that's ugly because it's redundant, and I don't like how you can't format a numeric parameter to not show commas.

Jason

photo

After looking again, I see there is a Year function in the Pre-Defined Calculated Field type. This will work for me.

Jason

photo

Hi Jason,

I am glad to hear you found something that works! I'm going to close this ticket, but please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file