Options
  • Reopen

Show missing data as zeroes, instead of breaks, on line chart?

Completed
Sam 2 years ago

In cases where a series has no data points for a month, the lines break, instead of being treated as zeroes. I would like each of these lines to drop to zero in a month where there is no record present of that type:

/059a8b7b907cf43f95ab3e4ab419b801

The blue, green, and red series all have noticeable breaks. I have all variables set to Null Behavior -> Zero in the Chart interface. How can I get those months/series combinations to be treated as zeroes and show up that way?

Replies (14)

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your issue. It sounds like this is a bug, Could you provide a few details for replication purposes including -

System Information Page - YF version, Java Tomcat versions, etc.

Field information - original formatting, any view level transformations

Report and Chart Setup - Chart type, configuration, Any other field formatting

Sometimes getting the details right here can be a little tricky - in many cases a YFX export of a similar report exhibiting this created from our Tutorial content would be most helpful here. Let me know if this is a possibility.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric, I'll try to work that up. If I can create a small CSV version of my dataset that reproduces the error upon upload, would that be reproducible enough? That way it's separated from the particulars of my data sources, but also I don't have to go through the Tutorial content and see if I can find or introduce the same missingness.

photo

Hm, I'm having trouble importing the CSV of the data such that it gets the timestamps as the right data type. If I sent a YFX export of my report, would that get you enough to see if you can reproduce the issue when it loads on your system?

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. The YFX export would help especially as a starting point, but can sometimes be tough to parse... if Ski Team doesn't have the "right stuff" or proves to be tough to replicate with, I think the best way forward would be to provide a sanitized or small example set of the source data as it sits in the environment (as a SQL backup file), and a simple view / chart that uses this source, with any transformations Yellowfin might be doing in the process. Would this be possible?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to check in to see if you had any luck replicating this, or had some detailed info on the system and report setup for me to try with.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't able to open the Ski tutorial data set at all and didn't know how to get a SQL backup file, so I grabbed a sanitized slice of the data as a CSV and I'm attaching here. I think you'll be able to replicate with this. I did + new report, new data source, load CSV, and made the report all in one shot.

Here's what the chart looks like on the sanitized slice of data:

/bdea74887db6e82ccbabcedd543a2f9e

You can see how I've set up the chart from that. I now know that if YearMonth was a Date-type variable, there'd be a slider option on the chart settings to impute values to fill granularity gaps. But YearMonth is a text value the way I have it formatted, and that suits me fine. Is there a way I can have lines at zero for months where a series has no value?

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the export here. I'm seeing the null - zero setting "not applying" as mentioned. I'm going to touch base with a consultant to see if this would possibly be a bug. Will follow up shortly via this thread. If you can narrow things down to a particular format type or aggregation in the original content it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Thanks for the update, Eric. Re: narrowing it down, that data + chart configuration is a replica of my full chart, so if you're seeing the behavior that's the full story on my end. I haven't checked other data types since this is the only one I'm using that has been a concern, but I'd think that would be apparent to the devs reading the code and they'd add unit tests for relevant types if/when this bug is addressed.

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply here. After some additional digging, I think the "non-time series" variable could likely be what's impacting, and was able to find a dev task that aims to change the way this currently works. Could you review and confirm? I can then get you added as an affected client, for increased visibility and tracking purposes.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/option-of-not-having-the-lines-break-on-non-time-series-charts

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Nice find, I think that covers it. I commented there to express interest. I think we can close this one as a duplicate of that issue.

Thanks,

Sam

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply here. We've got you added as an affected client to the dev task internally as well. I'll go ahead and close this off.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

Looks this ticket was re-opened without any related notes, just wanted to check in to see if you needed anything additionally here.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed sue to inactivity at this time, you can refer to the aforementioned ticked ID 23977 for updates, or request an escalation on developer task ID YFN-17445 to an account manager if needed.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

I hope all is well,

Mark here from the EMEA Support Team.

I just want to reach out to let you know that I am going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed. I say this as for some reason it appeared to have been re-opened. I hope this is ok.

If you have any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out, I would be more than happy to assist where I can.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment
You are posting as Sam

Attach a file