Install Rserve as a windows service

Yellowfin FAQ shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I am using a windows VM to launch Rserve, but the server will die the second my user logs out. What do I do?

Best Answer
photo

First, you must configure Rserve to be launched via the Rserve.exe file (from stackoverflow):

1. Navigate to the file where you just installed Rserve.exe (C:\R\R-31~1.0\library\Rserve\libs\x64\R, based on the message you copied here)
  2. Find Rserve.exe, Reserve_d.exe, and Rserve.dll there. Copy these files.
  3. Navigate to where R.dll is on your computer. This is probably C:\Program Files\R\R-3.1.3\bin\x64, but may be different depending on where you installed R to.
  4. Copy the 3 files mentioned above to this location.
  5. Create a text file here named "Rserv.cfg" with the arguments you are looking for, such as port 6312 or library(mvoutlier). Yes, I know that this is different from the documentation, but if you start Rserve_d.exe you will see that this is the file it is looking for. I have not had success naming it anything else.

Once you have configured this, Install NSSM to create a windows service for this launch:

1. Install NSSM: https://nssm.cc/download
  2. Open a command line window and run: nssm install RServe
  3. Point this to the exe file copied in the previous instructions
  4. Click Install service

be2378ff61f2fda5fa56ffc778a7563e

Replies (1)

photo

First, you must configure Rserve to be launched via the Rserve.exe file (from stackoverflow):

1. Navigate to the file where you just installed Rserve.exe (C:\R\R-31~1.0\library\Rserve\libs\x64\R, based on the message you copied here)
  2. Find Rserve.exe, Reserve_d.exe, and Rserve.dll there. Copy these files.
  3. Navigate to where R.dll is on your computer. This is probably C:\Program Files\R\R-3.1.3\bin\x64, but may be different depending on where you installed R to.
  4. Copy the 3 files mentioned above to this location.
  5. Create a text file here named "Rserv.cfg" with the arguments you are looking for, such as port 6312 or library(mvoutlier). Yes, I know that this is different from the documentation, but if you start Rserve_d.exe you will see that this is the file it is looking for. I have not had success naming it anything else.

Once you have configured this, Install NSSM to create a windows service for this launch:

1. Install NSSM: https://nssm.cc/download
  2. Open a command line window and run: nssm install RServe
  3. Point this to the exe file copied in the previous instructions
  4. Click Install service

be2378ff61f2fda5fa56ffc778a7563e

Leave a Comment

Attach a file