Make it so that Freehand SQL doesn't remove joins

Larry Beasley shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

I have a requirement and the only way I can think of how to solve it is to use a common table expression. I cannot create one in a view. It can only be created in a freehand report. I have to make the CTE very simple and FINAL because any change to it and the entire report goes away. I'm only using it to pull in 3 columns and then I left join a view. Maybe there's a way to solve my issue without a CTE but I cannot think of one.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Larry,

yes I can see why a CTE doesn't work in the current Freehand SQL View, because when you create a report from a Freehand SQL View then Yellowfin uses the Freehand View SQL as a subquery within the Report SQL, but obviously a CTE expression as a subquery causes a syntax error.

So I've gone ahead and raised an internal enhancement for the Idea (YFN-10423) of allowing CTE expressions in a Freehand SQL View.

And now....taking a long shot (because I don't know the details of your requirements), I'm just wondering whether the "Use As View" feature in "Report Settings" would help you with your current reporting requirements in any way?

regards,

David

photo

Just found this as I had perfected the query I wanted using a CTE, then gotten an unexpected error when I pasted that SQL into the Freehand SQL View. Now I'll explore a workaround, in the meantime +1 to this enhancement idea!

Leave a Comment

Attach a file