Allow "Else" in data grouping

Larry Beasley shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

The reason I wrote "ELSE" is because the Group Data option creates a CASE statement that begins with CASE WHEN 1 = 0 and the "ELSE" defaults to the view field. The Group Data dialog box options are In List, Not In List but it's missing an ELSE for those that are not keen on writing a case statement. So, once the distinct value is "used" or shifted over from the left to the right the report writer cannot use it again. I'm asking that they can reuse it if they are choosing the Not In List.

Here's an example. A database currently consists of numbers 0-10 and I need to group them by Prime < 10, Composite Up to 10 and All Others.

Prime: (1,2,3,5,7)

Composite: (4,6,8,9,10)

All Others:(0)

If my database grows and I only care about prime and composite numbers 10 and under then I have to keep adding values to "All Others" in order to catch them all. If I could reuse 1-10 then I could do this:

All Others: Not In List(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

A report writer with no SQL capabilities would be able to easily grasps this and apply it to their report. With that said, I'd like it too because it would keep me from hard-coding a CASE statement.

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delayed response. Does seem similar to your other request, though still sounds like it warrants a separate task.

This has been logged, though no plans as yet to address this.

In the interim, using a calc field is your best way around this. Though, you're right, it does require a basic understanding of case statements.

Please let us know if there was anything else you were after, and we will keep you posted on any updates.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file