Two Yellowfin installations on the same server

Ed Kilby shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

In order to reduce hosting costs for our internal system test environments we were considering the idea of installing Yellowfin twice on the same server.

Obviously they would need to be installed in different file areas, run on different tomcat ports and talk to different configuration DBs, but is there anything that would prevent this from being achieved? Have other customers tried this and found issues? is it generally not recommended?

Any feedback welcome

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Ed,

Typically clients will separate their dev and production environments between servers, but it is certainly possible to run these on the same server (we as support will often run multiple installations at the same time).

The only thing missing from your list here is that the shutdown port will also need to be unique between instances. (also found in the server.xml file)

The biggest concern I would have is the allocation of resources. For large production environments, we encourage allocating pretty much anything you can spare, and having a second instance competing for these might have a negative impact on the user experience.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan

photo

Thanks Nathan,

We would only do this for non-production environments, we have a fully spec'd load balanced/isolated env for production. So if this is just for testing then it sounds like it should be completely viable, is that fair?

Kind regards

Edward Kilby

photo

Hi Edward,

If these are limited to dev environments, then you should have no problems here, but of course let me know if you do :)

Nathan

photo

Hi Edward,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file