Stacked Bar Charts with 2 'date' counts per month

Andrew Ree shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I have a table of data containing a unique identifier, a creation timestamp, and a closure timestamp. I'm trying to create a stacked bar chart showing the month along the horizontal axis, and the number of opened and closed records for the vertical axis.

I can do each type separately as their own chart, but I'm trying to combine the two, and for the life of me I cannot make it work. I have tried every single combination of fields, formatting, calculated fields that I can think of, with no such luck.

I've attached an excel screenshot trying to indicate what I'm trying to do in yellowfin, hopefully it helps clarify my explanation above.

Thanks.

Replies (7)

photo

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. I don't have your data, so the exact methods to get to the same point may differ, but I think the following is a good place to start.

Here's what I tried: click the arrow next to your "Create Date" and "Closure Date" columns and use 'Aggregation' > 'Count' for each one. Then, add a "Month" column in your Data tab. Next, go to your Charts tab and add the "Count Create Date" and "Count Closure Date" Metrics to your Vertical Axis, and "Month" to your Horizontal Axis:

990094a9347efb1fe00b6e3e1e5a34ec

I happen to have the same Counts for Start Date and End Date for each month, so your chart may look a little different.

Perhaps you can give this method a try and see what you come up with. Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike. It hasn't quite worked out, but my dataset and environment is not as simple as I would like. I also get the same counts. even though I know it's wrong. I think I might just have to accept that I'll need 2 separate reports and work around it with Excel.

Cheers.

photo

Hi Andrew,

I believe I figured out how to accomplish this:

Go into your view and click on the "+" sign and Create a Date Function. Select your Field, Date Function, Format, and Field Folder.

9ef490eb03825db4f46a484569217c03

Repeat these steps for the Closure Date.

Click the 3 Dots next to the new functions and convert the Field Types to Dimensions.

2d1c46af5d59e42cf7890133cfc17cfa

Next, Drag in your new Creation Date column in the report builder. Then create an Append Sub Query, and make Master Query Field your new Creation Date function = Sub Query Field your new Closure Date function.

0f12f3c76cea6d8fbab27b50359b6a09

In the Master Query tab, put your original Create Date tab, and in the Append 1 tab, put your Closure Date tab, then 'Aggregation' > 'Count' both columns, now you should have the correct values for each:

2e963daf5c5c1447df68ecf1caf84848

Also note the counts won't be correct until BOTH are aggregated.

Now we have a correct Vertical Stacked Chart:

3ce8df59f7f714517f59efd4cc5af3a9

Hopefully this gets this working for you. Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike, that looks really good! My version of this product doesn't appear to have the date functions that you've referred to. I guess I'll have to wait for my version to be upgraded.

In the meantime, I'll bookmark this page and come back to it when we're compatible :)

Thanks a lot for your efforts with this. It's certainly not as easy as I thought when I started!

photo

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I'm right with you on this one! Haha. That said, this is available in 7.3 as well. To follow these steps you have to look at your data from the View level, not from the report builder. So you'd start by going 'Browse' > 'Views' > 'Prepare', then follow the steps in my previous post to create a date function. Let me know how that works for you, and as always, if you have further questions I'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Andrew,

Just wondering how things are going with this and if you are requiring further assistance.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Andrew,

I'm just going through some of my older cases. I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file