security constraints on export

Mark Milne shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Since upgrading to 7.2 I have encountered the folwinng error. When I export a dashboard and import it onto a different server, it will not allow me to open or deit the reports on the dashboard. It tells me I do not have sufficient access rights. Upon checking the XML code, we discovered the following code.

<externalAccessCode>CORPORATE</externalAccessCode>

<externalSecurityCode>NOACCESS</externalSecurityCode>

If I delete this from the xml file, I can open and edit the new reports, but I can't delete or overide the original ones.

How do I stop it from inserting these 2 lines on export?

How do I delete the reports that I can't open or edit even though I am the administrator?

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delayed response.

What you're running into sounds like the content was secured prior to the export, so what you now have is content that is secured in a way that does not give you access. e.g. You can secure a category so that only 'Group A' can access.

If you then bring that content across to a system that does not have 'Group A', you will not have access.

Since you are the admin, you should have a way to modify the security settings and either, change it from Group A, or create Group A and add yourself etc..

Here are the things you need to check;

-View level security

-Content Category security.

The report level security is also important, but since you cannot actually edit the report , it means the security settings are applied higher up.

So to your quesiton, you should NOT need to edit any XML files, but rather, understand the security setup on the content and then mirror the settings on the target system, or remove the settings prior to export on the original system.

Please let me know how it all goes.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi Mark,

I'm going to close this off due to inactivity, but I have a feeling you have since resolved this ;)

If you still have questions on this, or if there was anything else you were after, please let me know.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file