Auto-interval in charts

Guest shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged
  • Currently time series charts allow for automated labelling on the x axis (minutes/hours/days/weeks/years etc).
  • Would this be available with non-time series data to help clean up the x axis and make it more readable?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Charts pull data directly from selected Columns, so once you drag and drop the selected Dimension, Metric, etc., in the Charts tab, the axes are automatically labeled. If by default the X-Axis isn't easily readable, there are several ways to arrange, sort, style, size, position, and display the selected data, regardless of whether it is date/time data, by either clicking the arrow next to the appropriate Dimension in the Horizontal Axis box, or by altering options in the tabs above the chart preview. You could also explore different chart types for your data sets, as different charts are better for certain types of data. I'm not sure if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, but hopefully this gives you a good place to start. If not, can you try and explain in more detail what you're trying to accomplish, possibly with screenshots?

Thanks,

Mike

photo

HI this two attachments are examples. In our Company we had technical reports about System perfomance etc.

We configured filters for dateranges, weekdays and hours...

Filter example:

Last Month

Only hour 10

and weekday Mo-Fr

In the timeaxis we have empty surfaces. So we want to use category axis. But then we don't can read the Label from the x axes. (see attachment). It would be nice, when the category axes diagrams automatic Shows every x entry.

photo

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your response. The issue in this case is that the data set is too large to have every value clearly labeled on the X-Axis. The reason time series works the way it does is because minutes/hours/days, etc. are measures that can quickly and logically be split up and labeled, but for data that is non-numeric, nor dates or times, it is difficult to know which values are important enough to be labeled without the user defining it. For example, let's say your X-Axis labels are of Cities, and your data set contains 100 Cities. How would you determine which cities to automatically label or exclude on the X-Axis? The assumption is that when Dimensions are dragged into a chart, they are equally important and thus should all be displayed, unless defined/filtered/etc. otherwise by the user, which can easily be done if they're numeric values (there is an option under 'Chart Axis' > 'Scale' to define Scale Unit increments to be displayed for applicable numeric values). It's also worth nothing that when using Time Series, you actually are choosing which data to display, it's just a quick way of doing so due to the nature of the data type being used. Due to the specificity of each use case, there's really no way of automatically knowing which of the labels are important enough to be displayed for every data type. It is also the case that some data sets aren't good for certain chart types (or possibly even for charts at all). You may want to consider filtering some of the values on the X-Axis to make the chart more easily read.

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding your request and I'll be happy to assist further.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

so in your examples it is correct. It make no sense. But sometimes it is neccessary to do that. In our old reporting Tool we uses jfreechart. In this, we had the opportunity to say, Show every x Label.

photo

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your response. I see what you are saying that this kind of customization could be useful. I will go ahead and log this as an idea and submit an enhancement request for for potential future development. Thanks for submitting your idea. I will keep this post updated with further information regarding this case.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file