Quarter Date Formatting

Guest shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged
  • Wishing to show dates in a Q YYYY format in Yellowfin, but this can currently only be shown using a text field or concatenated date, which creates a text field anyway.
  • Once in this format there is no way to use the time series in a chart. Could charts be updated to show the date as Quarters of the year (Q YYYY), and these be used via time-series?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for reaching out. Can you provide a little more information on what you are trying to accomplish here? Depending on the chart type, you should be able to click next to your date Dimension in the Charts tab and turn Time Series on, then select 'Units' > 'Quarters'; or, in your Data tab, you can click the arrow next to your column title and change the 'Chart Granularity' to 'Quarters' under 'Format' > 'Edit':

3850e7a27f91870012de648e72d3d82d

If you add text to a date field it may no longer be a valid time format field, such as Timestamp, which is why the Time Series feature would no longer be available for use.

One possible solution to keep your data in a valid date format so that Time Series can be used is you can try putting in your time data twice, one formatted as a Year, and and another formatted to 'Date Part Formatter' > 'Prefixed Quarter', so it will appear as Q2 2013, for example, on reports:

73dfa7a5d94524144b1a8ca5ae908f06

Then you can put both dimensions in your chart. An example of which would look like this, though of course it can be edited:

7f7ae48e899465bae332bbc9e793a970

Let me know if this may be an option for you. Otherwise, I'd be happy to help further if you could provide more information on what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

thanks for your Response, but we Need an other diagram. The first diagram is not bad, but it is not very readable. We prefer a dateaxis with the Format Q/YYYY (Q1/2017). At the Moment we use the second diagram, but when we had datas about 10 or 20 years the Label is not readable.

In the attachment you can see how we prefer it. It is build with Excel:

photo

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for submitting your idea. I've gone ahead and logged this as an idea and opened an enhancement request under 9793 for potential future development and will keep this post updated with further information regarding this case.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi,

I can't open the link.

photo

Hi Carsten,

That's an internal ticket link. Sorry about that. Any future updates will be posted here.

Thanks,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file