Total Line in Charts

Tal Mickel shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

In 7.2 you introduced Functions to the charts of Yellowfin

There's Trend, Average, Accumulation and Forecast.

Is it possible to add a "Total" function ? see an example below.

We are currently solving it by creating an Append, which makes users work harder.

If you have multiple lines and you want to total them all, like so - (black line)

07d739291172503b76dcb0229fa84703

Bests

Dor & Tal

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Tal,

Thanks for your feedback,

I understand what you're after, but honestly the effort involved in supporting such a feature outweighs the simple task of creating a calc field with both metrics summed.

I know this is not the answer you would like to hear, it's just that adding a 'total' line is not as simple as it sounds, but creating a calc field that is 'column 1 + column 2' usually is quite simple ;).

If there is something I'm missing here, please help me understand how you're report is configured to see if there is another alternative.

Thanks again!

David

photo

Hey David,

Thank you for your reply.

It's not as simple as you suggest due to the type of request here.

It will work when you have one metric without a breakdown. Here we have a case with a field that divides the result into multiple types and has a single metric, and we would like to use the color option in order to differentiate between them. The line chart does not support the color option if its not a cross tab for example..

And even then, it's not that easy to just adding columns when you have a single column.

It's not easy or even impossible to just create a calculated field with a clause here. It is necessary in this case to create an append which will not be affected by the type dimension.

Which makes the user experience more difficult and not user friendly. :)

Maybe if the system knew how to duplicate queries - then I wouldn't be worried about that. You can actually take another idea from here - Copy Filters function.

When we want to create appends to measure the same data but in different times (offsets or anything similar) - we need to make a new append with the same filters to receive the same data, and just change the time.

The problem lays when we have a huge clause with multiple defined filters.

If we just had a button that would copy the filters with the defined values, that would save has 40% of the time we spend on building such a report.

Let us know what you think....

Bests

Dor & Tal

photo

Thanks Tal for the extra info.

I still feel like I'm missing something here, as while I understand this can be painful via a calc field, and there would be a feasible way via filters if you could easily copy (so you can use different time filters), is 'set analysis' something that will give you the ability to easily apply a time filter to the chart?

E.g.

b99ec1f949758c65596335bbab733ff2

If this doesn't help, are you able to provide some detailed info on your data set, and how you're configuring the chart?

It's ok to convert this to a private ticket if we need to look at sensitive data.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hey David,

Does 'Set Analysis' is new to YF 7.4 ?

We're working on 7.2, build 20170602

As I read about it through your link, I see that it doesn't perform "summing" of the data, so it doesn't really help.

(In addition, and without context to the report in subject - does Set Analysis perform measuring in a form of a chart only? Can I use it as a measure and show it inside a table ?)

The data set looks like that -

/NfcCyWqKKACAKVASgBRUBaEFFAFpQEYAWVASgBRUBaEFFAFpQEYAWVASgBRUBaPkfjgShYS1OikkAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

And there's also a date dimension, which I didn't add here, just to show it well under line chart

What we're trying to do, is to measure multiple entities with 3 dimensions - Date, Type of the Entity, and a volume measure (or just any other numeric metric that you can count per the Type of the Entity)

Then we need to show it all on a line chart, and get multiple lines (number of lines set by the number of types of the entity) that measure each type by its volume, and on top of those lines - show the volume in total.

Hope it makes sense! :) Let me know if not.

Thanks

Dor & Tal

photo

Hi Tal,

Going to get back to you next week on this one, sorry for the delays.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi Tal,

Set Analysis came in 7.3 and is only available on charts

Seems like it's still not going to give you what you wanted.

So it leaves us with adding an enhancement for the total line, though please be aware at this point in time there are no immediate plans to implement such a feature.

Thanks for your feedback and detailed info as always!

Regards,

David

photo

We guess until then, we will continue using appends..

Will it get a YF ID so we can track it in the future ?

Thanks

Dor & Tal

photo

Hi Dor/Tal,

It already has a JIRA ID and linked to this idea. All YF members have the ability to see the linked ID's.. though you should only need to worry about the idea topic.

Thanks,

David

photo

Sounds great.

For what its worth - is it possible to get the JIRA ID ? we're tracking every bug we sent to you guys and that would be a great reference if the community ticket will disappear. (Yes, it happened before. Unfortunately. With no clear reason.)

Bests,

Dor & Tal

photo

Hi Dor/Tal..

Jira ID is 9008.. though keep in mind these ID's can change/merge.

Thanks,

David

photo
photo

Hey David !

Is there any update with this idea ?

photo

Hi Dor,

No updates on this task as yet, as it has yet to be planned.

We will let you know if there are any updates.

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards,

David

photo

Hey David, is there anything about this in YF 8 or YF 9?

photo

Hi Vefa,

Unfortunately not. However there should be other ways to get what you're after which I'm happy to look into.

If you want to provide me with some sample data, and chart you're trying to build, I can look further into it.

Thanks,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file