end of line for csv output?

steve lord shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I'm trying to import a csv file that was output from YF into a sql table through MS SQL Bulk Insert.

Typically for text files, I specify the ROWTERMINATOR='\n'

However, that's not working for csv files output from YF. When opening in Notepad, there is no line break - just looks like one long string. Textpad, on the other hand (as well as Excel) opens the file and displays lines accordingly.

Any ideas on what to specify as the line terminator? I've also tried \r

Thanks very much for any help!

-Steve

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Steve,

In my tests, the csv exports use a line feed ascii character to denote end of line rather than either \n or \r. I am not terribly familiar with the bulk insert method for MS SQL, but I would imagine that you could get away with not specifying a line break character.

73da37aab27729c1e3edbe71c746a9c6

Is that an option here?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thanks for the thought Nathan. I tried leaving out the ROWTERMINATOR and run into the same trouble. I've also tried '\r\n' as well. I'm pretty confident that the issue is however the end of line is represented. I found that if I opened up the YF csv output in Excel and simply saved the file (as csv of course) then I was able to do my sql BULK INSERT. So Excel is able to correctly read in the row terminator (whatever that is from YF) and then set the default row terminator, '\n'.

I'd love to know how to specify it myself without having to open/save the csv through Excel.

Thanks again for the response,

Steve

photo

Hi Steve,

How about trying:

ROWTERMINATOR = '0x0a'

It seems other people have this problem as well with the bulk insert:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cc0d3f79-3b1e-4613-881e-ba54289a5f02/bulk-insert-row-terminator-issues?forum=transactsql

Nathan

photo

Fantastic!! '0x0a' did the trick for me. Thanks so much for hunting that down!!

photo

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear it worked, and no problem! I am going to close this ticket for now, but let me know if you run into any other problems.

Also, if you have a few seconds we are doing Closed Request Surveys this month.

Regards, Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file