OLAP report limitation on dashboard

Rory Miller shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

When adding reports made from an olap view, if i add 5 reports to a dashboard then all the reports go into continuous loading and won't load. happens every time at 5th report. any help would be great.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Rory,

I have made a dashboard tab with 5 reports from an olap view and there was no loading issue (I have attached a short video demonstrating this).

So it would be good to see which process is holding your Yellowfin up, and we can do this via Yellowfin's feature called info_threads.jsp which shows a snapshot of all threads running at that point in time.

We have created a utility infoThreadRunner which will automatically generate the snapshots, just configure it to take one every 1 second for about a minute, then set it running and then try and load the OLAP dashboard tab , then zip up all the generated HTML files and attach them to this ticket. Then hopefully we'll be able to determine what Yellowfin is waiting on.

regards,

David

photo

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. i have attached the required files to this comment, hope it helps

photo

Hi Rory,

thanks for that. I've attached a short video of another utility I created that makes it easier to analyse the threads. In it you can see that after 7 seconds there are 5 connection pool threads that are waiting to checkout a connection (the Yellowfin classes commence with "com.hof"), so I'm guessing that there are no available connections in the pool. As to why one never becomes available, I'm not exactly sure, but for starters could you please try increasing the value of your Maximum Connections field in the Data Source:

/9Ga9VqvVuZnRjQ8AOCEiHwAAJRD5AAAogcgHAEAJRD4AAEog8gEAUAKRDwCAEoh8AACUQOQDAKAEIh8AACX8f7Lwt6XnYUL7AAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

and if that doesn't help, could you please zip up and attach all of the logs in the logs folder (making sure of course that they cover a period when the dashboard is hanging)

regards,

David

photo

I upped my max connections to 10 and still have the same problem. i noticed by accident that if it is left on for a while they will eventually load but if i put a 6th one in a get a performance decrease using yellowfin and the same issue of reports all loading

photo
photo

Hi Rory,

two more things to try:

1. Run the following query against the Yellowfin DB:

insert into Configuration (IpOrg, ConfigTypeCode, ConfigCode, ConfigData)

values (1, 'SYSTEM', 'OLAPMEMBERCACHEENABLED', 'true'

2. In the catalina.bat file (<yellowfin home>\appserver\bin) uncomment the following 2 lines (i.e. remove the "rem" from the beginning of the lines)

rem set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dorg.olap4j.driver.xmla.XmlaOlap4jCube.lazyLoadMeasures=true

rem set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dorg.olap4j.driver.xmla.XmlaOlap4jCellSet.lazyMemberLookup=true

And if those two things don't seem to help, could you please try changing the dashboard loading configuration from Concurrent to Sequential (Admin Console->Content Settings->Dashboard Settings->Loading Settings):

/8BRsVOOgAwQmMAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

Please let me know if any of these measures help.

regards,

David

photo

Hi,

simply changing the report loading settings from concurrent to sequential as you suggested did solve the problem. reports of 5 or more on the dashboard now load. i didn't get chance to try the other suggestions you mentioned . Thanks for your help

photo
photo

that's great news Rory, sorry I didn't think of that in my first response!

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file