Dynamically Switch Dimensions with a Parameter

Alena Saveleva shared this question 18 months ago
Answered

Hello!

I was wondering if it is possible to create a feature similar to Tableau where you can change dimensions with the parameter. Please see the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrEui_Ipirk.

Or do you know any work around how this can be archived now?

Thanks!

Replies (10)

photo

Yes.

photo

Hi Alena,

Thanks for reaching out to Yellowfin support.

I have gone through the video link mentioned above and I find similar article related to change the dimensions with the parameter. Hope this below article is useful, Please go through it and do let me know if you have any concerns.

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Parameters

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hello Vamsi!

Unfortunately, I only saw a way to set up a parameter to be equal to one dimension. Is there a way to make it equal to 2 or more? I do not see any information on that in the Wiki.

photo

Hi Alena,

Thanks for reaching out. So here I have 2 reports with different dimensions on the same "sum invoiced metric.

32925fef390b1e2cfbbf978e2fef8e2c

Here you'd like to see a single report and something like a "dimension:" dropdown in left nav menu to switch between "gender" and "region" does that sound accurate?

Thanks,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Alena,

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

photo

Hi Alena,

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Sri vamsi

photo

Hello Vamsi! The idea of this is to be able to use the parameter as dimension not a filter. You can create one bar chart that will show for example # of sales by region(dimension #1) or # of sales by department(dimension # 2) or # sales by category (dimension #3) and you would switch the dimensions in the chart similar to what you can do with measures now using interactions.

photo

Hey Alena - great question! I looked at the video and see what they're doing. Unfortunately, YF parameters have a limitation where you can't supply hard-coded value list; it has to be a single default value. But it is possible to do with a virtual table, a cross join and some creativity. I did a mock up in a 5 minute video here

I can't say enough though that this is definitely a work around using a cartesian product. You run the risk of getting repeating values and incorrect aggregates. You have to have a mandatory filter that requires the user to pick one value. Otherwise, you'll get the bad aggregations. So I would definitely do lots of testing to make sure users have to have that filter deployed for all reports using the view. It'd be better if you could use a parameter with a defined list, but again, doesn't appear to be possible.

I'm happy to discuss it if you wanted to get on a call or email.

Hope it helps!

photo

Hi Alena,

Hope things are good on your end. Just wanted to check in to make sure you had what you needed here.

Regards,

Sri vamsi

photo

Hi Alena,

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Sri Vamsi

Leave a Comment

Attach a file