Expand Annotations

Craig Dubin shared this idea 18 months ago
Idea Logged

Annotations are great but have significant limitations. Conceptually, the idea of being able to let users tag data that will propagate across other similar data set is a great tool in terms of synchronizing insights.

I think there are a couple improvements that would be really helpful. The first, which is a major departure from the current implementation is to expand annotations beyond just being bound to dates. Text dimensions would really benefit from annotations from a footnoting standpoint for a report.

Use Case:

Say we have data about vehicle collisions. In this set, there is a community where there is a bad intersection that has been determined to be a contributing factor to a large number of collisions in that region.

In this use case, there's nothing related to dates. But you may see a huge spike in accidents if you group by community in a report or chart. It would be great to be able to tag that community in the community dimension as something like "Downtown Intersection has high incident rate."

Then, whenever you run a report where that community is in the mix, it would be able to generate a footnote (preferably at the bottom of a chart or report, with a tooltip or flag within charts and reports.

Additionally for date-based reports and charts, I understand that the date must be in the report in order to show. It would be great if a report had date filters, and the date was within the range, that a footnote could be generated as well.

Hopefully others agree!

Thanks,Craig

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Craig,

Thank you for. bringing this up with the Yellowfin Team. It sure sounds like you've researched and brought to the table your views/ideas for said feature. I would be more than happy to have this raised with our development team so that they can review this going forward.

With this I would be hoping that our team understands the request and considers this in our future version releases.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Thanks Mark. I'm happy to discuss if anything is unclear. I wasn't sure how to share the idea visually, but I could try to mock something up if the description wasn't clear enough. In the days when all I used for reporting layer was Crystal Reports, I had custom tables where users could add context to a specific characteristic (dimension type data), and it would display as a footnote below the report. This is really handy for outliers with analyses.

Though I know you guys have a queue of ideas miles long! So I won't hold my breath.

photo

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the additional information in your response. Going forward with this it might be worth checking in with your Account Manager/CSM if this is something that could potentially have a huge impact with your use of Yellowfin BI. I'm sure we could push for such features!

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file