API Export content to file path.

Gerhard Mitterlechner shared this idea 19 months ago
Awaiting Reply

We are planning to automatize the reports' exporting process with the goal to store them somewhere on the file system / network share, not sending them into some inbox. One use case would be to test a new version of our ETL against predefined report exports that are verified to be correct, in order to ensure that the reports were not affected.

Replies (11)

photo

Hi Gerhard,

I hope all is well,

Mark here from the EMEA Support Region, just to let you know this has since been logged as an Idea with our development team. No updates as of yet, although please check-in as and when you like. I will be happy to assist with this where I can.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi there, any plans on when this might be implemented?

photo

Hi Gerhard,

I hope all is well,

No solid movement as of yet, although I have seen some discussions on this with the wider team here at Yellowfin.

I have chased this up with the team to see where we stand. In addition to this we could get your CSM involved if that helps? They will be able to assist with getting this looked at.

Let me know.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Thanks for the update, I have forwarded it to our CSM.

photo

Hi Gerhard,

Thank you for letting me know.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Gerhard,

I hope all is well,

I've discussed this further with our wider team and as an alternative we do have the options of achieving this by using the save to disk via a broadcast if this is of any help?

More information here. I may have brought this up with you before, although I could be wrong...

Let me know your thoughts on this. I would be more than happy to further assist.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark! Thanks for the reply.

In order to understand better the purpose of our request I'll try to go into more details:

we are currently adapting our existing ETLs which might influence reports that get built upon.

In order to be able to guarantee that the reports still work in the same way they did before, we would like to be able to automatically and _immediately_ retrieve the export of a _specific_ report's data (without having to do any additional manual steps in the YF web tool!), and compare it against a "true"/previous version of exported report.

In our previously used BI tool, this was perfectly possible by just requesting a specific report via a REST API. Unfortunately, so far our automatic testing approach cannot be applied to YF, simply because the REST API does not seem to offer the download of the report's data (only the definition).

I do not clearly see how Broadcasts would be able to replace this functionality of "immediate" download of a "specific" report's data. The only way I could imagine it to work would be to, say, schedule the broadcast of every possible report every minute or so, which is of course technically unfeasible.

We are already aware of being able to look at the report's SQL query and might also try testing against them.

photo

Hi Gerhard,

Thank you for getting back to me and explaining this request in more detail.

I have forwarded this to our wider team of which I am hoping for some feedback soon. I will inform you of any updates as and when I can.

I hope this is ok, and speak soon.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Gerhard,

If the need is to have it "immediately" then you could still use a schedule and start it by using "Run Now" from the Schedule Manager.

Or, as an alternative you could use the SOAP service which will do exactly what you require.

Let me know your thoughts on this Gerhard.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

thanks a lot, that possibility was indeed overlooked by us.

In order to verify if it would match our needs, however, we would need to develop some kind of PoC, which might take some time. Do you mind keeping the ticket open in the meantime?

Br, Gerhard

photo

Hi Gerhard,

No problem. I am pleased I could be of help with this. I will keep this ticket marked as Awaiting Reply and await your feedback.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file