Wrap Text in Column Formatting does not work unless Wrap Text in Report Formatting is turned on.

Kenichiro Nishi shared this idea 22 months ago
Idea Logged

Hi,

Wrap Text settings are available for both Report and Column Formatting.

If "Report Format > Data > Style(Set custom) > Wrap Text" is switched OFF, the text in cells will not wrap even if "Column Format > Data > Wrap Text" is switched ON.

The only way to wrap text is to turn on Wrap Text for reports and columns.

Other column formatting settings take precedence over the same settings for report formatting.

However, Wrap Text seems to take precedence over Report Format.

Is this a specification?

Best,

Ken

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Ken,

Thanks for reaching out. This was pretty simple to see -

1. Turn off text wrap in Report Settings

2. Enable text wrap in column settings

-Observe text is not wrapped.

Personally, I am not sure whether this is by design or not; my preference would be the column customizations overrode the general report output, but I could also see that setting being at the top of the hierarchy so to speak.... I think a possible solution would be to have something like an option to override the other setting on either page, would this be a viable solution in your eyes?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response.

I think a possible solution would be to have something like an option to override the other setting on either page
Yes, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

But to actually implement it, you need to work out the detailed specifications.

I had moved the location of the Wrap Text switch for column formatting in a past specification change, but we got complaints from customers and put it back in YFN-7522.

We should do the same with the relationship between the Font property of the Column Formatting and the font property of the Report Formatting.However, the Column Formatting Wrap Text does not have a "default or custom" switch, so it is not possible to determine which override to use in the same way as the Font property...

Regards,

Ken

photo

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply here. I see this existing dev task that sounds related -

"Style" must be changed to "Custom" to turn off "Wrap Text" setting in Report Formatting> Column & Row Headings.
The client wants to keep the default settings for settings other than Wrap Text.
However, changing "Style" to Custom does not inherit the default settings, so the client has to change the style setting every time.
They want to be able to change "Wrap Text" even if "Style" setting default state.

Maybe this would work in your case?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes, this is one possible solution.

However, isn't it unclear from this alone which setting should be prioritised, report formatting or column formatting?

The specification needs to be carefully decided as this is a feature that has failed in previous specification changes.

In the meantime, we will tell the customer that the current behaviour is a specification, not a bug.

Thanks,

Ken

photo

Hi Kenichiro,

Thanks for the reply. One additional question - is there an affected client I can attach to the dev task?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your replay.

Two clients have made enquiries.Neither is a serious issue, but they are affected.

Thanks,

Ken

photo

Hi Kenichiro,

Thanks for the update, I see the JIRA task has been updated as well, thanks for that. I'll go ahead and mark this ticket as Idea Logged at this time. Feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file