No option to use reference code chart colours in client orgs

Mike Ryan shared this problem 6 years ago
Defect Fixed

Hi there,

We have created some colours against ref codes and when trying to apply them to charts we do not have an option in client orgs.

Though when in default, this works fine.

Version 7.3 Build 20170331

Danielle

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Danielle,

Sorry for the delay in response here. Typically Reference Codes are specific to client organizations, so each organization will need to create their own reference code for this data. Is this something that worked in the past for you?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

We set up the Views from the Default org and each client organisation uses these views/fields but the data is populated from their own database.

We have tested the reference code custom sort order (set from the Default org) and this transfers down to the client org, but the colour options do not.

We have only just started testing this functionality so I cannot say whether this has worked before but from our understanding, from Yellowfin training that we have recently received, that this functionality would work with our data.

Thanks,

Danielle

photo

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for the clarification. I was able to test and confirm that the sort order is retained, but the coloring functionality is not. Unfortunately, this behavior is not new and was also present in my tests on versions over 5 months old. Older builds did not transfer the sort order.

As none of the other reference code functionality is available to client organizations, I am inclined to say that the sort order transferring is actually a bug. However I do see the use case for having these values transfer between organizations, so I have raised an inquiry ticket to confirm if this is a bug, limitation, or possible enhancement.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help here.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thank you for your help so far, Nathan.

That's a pity as this is a major drawback for our use case; we have 300+ client organisations and these do not have access to the view builder.

Please let me know as soon as you know any more information regarding this.

Thanks again,

Danielle

photo

Hi Danielle,

I have made a note of its importance to you, and will let you know as soon as soon as the developers have had a chance to look at this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Any progress on this ... ?

We have the same issue. For the specific chart, there are about 12 clientorg that will be using this but the same functionality will be used by reports that have 100+ clientorg's. Manually adding them is not a small feat.

@Danielle: did you manage to work around this?

It seems a little contradictive to the design-philosophy that everything in the primary org is send down to clientorgs. Views, Reports, dashboard all are available in clientorg's when developed in primary org.

I hope this can somehow be added to 8.1 release or shortly after.

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

Thanks for the additional info JeRoen, and no unfortunately not changes on this functionality.

Yup I agree that the philosophy of client orgs seems a little different in terms of reference codes. The reason for this is because reference codes are based off actual data (not the meta data).

E.g In most setups default orgs have 1 data set, and then each org has their own. So setting a reference code at the default org cannot be applied to the clients.

Yes there are cases where this is not true, but I think what we should do in your case is work out if there is another way to achieve what you're after?

E.g. Maybe the default chart colors will be ok?

Wondering also if this is more of an issue where a user has ability to login to multiple orgs (so they will notice the color differences)?

Happy to move this to a private ticket so we can better understand the data set you're working with and looking for other solutions.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

We have one DB (and dataset) in the defaultOrg where the data off all clientOrg's is stored. Using ClientOrgId Access filters only the data for the clientOrg is shown.

Would be nice if the referenceCodes are used in all clientOrg's untill you change it in a specific clientOrg. The link with the defaultOrg referenceCode would then be removed.

What would be the best approach to have a referenceCode for all clientOrg's?

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

No problems JeRoen,

In your case it could work for colors, though not necessarily for sorting.

I'll chat to our guys over here to see if there is any possibility of this working, when I think of reference codes, I picture seeing the value/color/sort in the view, so you would need to hide the values from the default org, while at the same time showing the values visible within that org.

I'll get back to you once I know more to see if I can move this to a product idea.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi JeRoen,

So good news and bad news. Good news is that the task is now creating and something we will need to address.

Bad news is that I cannot provide an ETA on this as yet. But something we will review in the future.

In the interim you're stuck with duplicating your ref codes in the clients orgs, I guess you could use the CSV option to make it a bit easier?

/x8Uq+nLGy0X5wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Though sorry for the inconvenience in any case!

Thanks,

David

photo

Thanks for responding and looking into it ...

We will make it work with the CSV's but it will be mind-numbing to do ... :-)

Regards,

Jeroen

photo

No probs, yeah it's not the most exciting task.

photo

Hello David,

Is the option to populate from datasource new? We do not have it as an Administrator. Maybe 8.1 feature?

Besides that the colour value from a CSV import is not coming through when importing in ClientOrg's. Is there some special way to insert it?

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

Hi Joen,

Firstly, the ability to pull data from the data source is in 8.0.2 (I can go back and check older releases, just let me know which release you're currently on). In terms of the issue you're facing, I think you might have logged this over here. Now in terms of this enhancement, have some good news.

As of Yellowfin 9.0 (beta expected end of Nov with official release early 2020) it's possible to use org ref code colors from the default org! This means we don't need to worry about work arounds, or fixes for defects found in the workaround. It does however mean waiting just a little longer, though at least we know it's done and coming.

Does this all sound good to you? If not I can go down the path of mapping out the DB tables and seeing if we can find a way for the client orgs to use records manually inserted into the DB (though this may require quite a bit of manual work, and unsure if it will actually work correctly at this point).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hello David,

Sorry for the late response. Great to hear it will be possible to have colors from the reference code in the default client org also be used in the other client orgs. I can't wait to get that functionality.

Eagerly looking forward for a YellowFin 9 release. Lots of fixes in dashboarding also I see.

Regards,

JeRoen

photo

No problems at all! Yup some pretty big chases in YF 9. If you wanted to get your hands on the Beta you can reach out to your CSM to get a sneak peak ;)

photo
photo

Hi Guys,

Just letting you know this has been addressed now in Yellowfin 9.

If you run into any issues/questions on this with version 9, please let us know.

Thanks,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file