Could a scatter plot chart pass multi values to a tabular report?

hung shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I have a scatter chart report. at Charts design step. I have chosen three fields Country, Site and Study as Column at Data design step. The Country field is chosen as Colour at Charts design step.

The chart is Drill though a tabular report with three joining fields: Country, Site and Study.

The chart is displayed with a table data which have three "Country", "Site" and :Study" columns. If I click on the chart the value Country at clicked point is passed through the tabular. If I clicked on a table row, all the joined fields are passed to the tabular report.

My question is how can I pass all the joined fields to tabular report when clicking on the scatter chart (same as when click on the table row).

Thanks very much

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Hung,

Once you have enabled drill-through, a drill-through menu will appear in the scatter chart settings (gear icon) that ill allow you to use values from the chart in the same way that a normal drill-through works:

d482018838ad97fb38d9eb63aece62e2

Does this work for you? If not it would help if you could elaborate a bit on what you have tried so-far, so that I can provide more pointed suggestions.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thanks Nathan for the reply.

I have just tried it and it still doesn't work.

I think I need to try again the Join section at Master Field. There are "Select Field" and "Select Filter". I will get back to you when I have the new question.

Regards,

Hung

photo

Hi Hung,

That sounds good, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

As I know, a Scatter chart can only pass a parameter value to a drill through report. Now that I have a requirement to pass more that one parameter values, say three values for example, to the drill through report each time I click a point on the Scatter chart. Could you please tell me how I can accomplish that in Yellowfin.

Thanks & Regards,

Nam Tran

photo

Hi Nam,

The best way to do this will be to pass all of your desired values as filter values to the related report (you can link on multiple filters).

A second approach is more convoluted but may be necessary for your use case:

If these three values are constant, you can create a calculated field for each value you wish to pass, that simply returns that value in every row. You can then "link on field" these columns to your second report's filter inputs. As you will need to have constant values in the row to make this link work, you will most likely need to create these columns in an append sub-query that is joined on something constant across all fields. I will often create a view level calculated field "one" that simply returns one to link on.

In the future it will be possible to link these values to a parameter.

If neither of these seem relevant to your needs, it would be helpful if you could provide screenshots highlighting exactly what you are trying to do in this report. The term "passing values" can be expressed in many ways in Yellowfin, so seeing exactly what you are trying to do would be beneficial.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am trying the second approach because it's close to my use case. I will update you soon.

Thanks,

Nam

photo

Hi Nam,

That sounds good, please let me know if you are able to get this working.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

The second approach did not work for me because these three values are not constant. However, based on the second approach, I created a composite field which include a join of three fields in database and then use this composite field for coding colors. For coloring, we have to use conditional format to manually configure color rules.

Thank you for your support.

Nam

photo

Hi Nam,

That sounds like a good solution, and glad to hear you got this working. I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file