Timing of data interactions on SQL queries.

Dillon Hoefener shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I'm looking for clarity on how dashboard filters are linked on the backend when it comes to the SQL that's generated at runtime.

Scenario: a dashboard is created with two reports that both include a date filter. Report 1 has a user prompt date filter that is set to default to a dynamic date of current date-1. Report 2's date filter does not have a default value set.

On the dashboard, I set up a filter link using Report 1's date filter and link it to Report 2's date filter so both are filtered to the same dynamic date. When the dashboard is launched, does Report 2's query get sent to the db without the date filter at any point because the report does not have a default value, or does this query automatically include Report 1's default date value of yesterday when it is being loaded initially because they are linked?

Thanks

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Dillon,

I've reached out to the Consulting Team on this one as they'd have a more details on how things work behind the scenes. I'll get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Dillon,

Here's the feedback I've received from the Dev team on this: "When reports are loading on the dashboard they inherit their linked filter values before any report run requests are made. So in this example, Report 2's Date Filter should always take the default value from Report 1, before sending a query to the db."

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions or concerns on this.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike, that's what I would expect but just wanted to be sure.

photo

Hi Dillon,

Yep, not a problem!

This considered, I'll go ahead and close this case out, but please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file