Navigate to one dashboard from another

Dillon Hoefener shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have a use case where we have two dashboards, one that is a higher level executive view of overall performance over all regions. The 2nd is a lower level view that shows the reasons why performance is good or bad. The idea with this, is to include a button on the first high level dashboard that will navigate into the more detailed dashboard with all the same filters and drill path that was selected on the first.

I have gotten pretty close setting this up. I'm able to use the button on the first dashboard to launch into the 2nd and then use the JS API functions to get the functionality I want for default values.

My question/concern with this is that I have to use a URL to navigate to the detailed dashboard that contains the UUID for that dashboard, and I'm not sure if this is sustainable when we create new versions and everything, the URL need to be dynamic in the dashboard JS to find the most recent version of the dashboard.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to get the UUID value of a different dashboard from code mode in the dashboard you're working in so I could construct the URL.

1a. If so, how would I go about passing in the necessary tab token into this URL? Not sure where to get this from.

I didn't see any API functionality that seemed to do what I'm looking for. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the response. I don't think I was clear with my question. I'm aware of everything you've mentioned, but my concern basically lies with getting a dashboard's UUID programmatically based on its name.

I currently have a setup where I'm already linking from one dashboard to another based on a hardcoded URL tied to a button in code mode with the target dashboard's UUID included that is working fine. My concern is if the target dashboard's UUID changes when changes are made to the dashboard or new versions/copies are made.

1. Can you tell me what changes to a dashboard will cause a UUID change? Does importing a dashboard into a new YF instance give it a new UUID?

2. Is there a way via code mode/JS API to retrieve the a dashboard's UUID?

Thanks

photo

Hi Simon,

Yes, that clears things up. So I just need to make sure I update the URL manually if a new copy is made of the target report with the new UUID. It is a frequent practice to make copies when creating new versions so I was just wondering if there was a dynamic way to get the UUID of a dashboard based on its name.

That might be a useful enhancement to add as an API function call. Get dashboard UUID by name.

Thanks

Leave a Comment

Attach a file