External Libraries in Code Mode

Renato Marcello dos Reis shared this idea 2 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi Guys,

I hope everything is fine with all you from Yellowfin support.

I have a Javascript Chart from which I need to allow our users to take screenshots using Yellowfin Feature. Sadly, this feature does only work with Yellowfin charts.

As I'm in a need of some kind of chart Yellowfin does not provide, I created an JS Chart to fulfill my needs, but I will also need to create a workaround to screenshots feature. I was thinking to use html2canvas, but I don't know how to add external libraries in code mode.

Can someone point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

Replies (13)

photo

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the delay here, I had some issues that had to be solved asap, and I couldn't read your answer until today.

The "require" function used in your example couldn't help because the specific kind of code I need can only be achieved directly in Code Mode on my dashboard. However, I didn't knew where to put the script source in Code Mode. The answer to this, was to put right below the "canvas" tag in html.

We can also use the require in JS, but I think it's more usual to just put in html.

Thanks a lot for your help in this case.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo

Hi Simon,

I just wanted to thank you once more. You can close this topic. It's very clear to me how we need to work with code mode now.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo

Chris or any other agent,

Is there any possiblity to get the replies to this (or the "answer")!?

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hi Zack,

Sorry this ticket is a little "weird" with Simon deleted, would it be okay if you created a new ticket/question with your specific situation / requirements?

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Actually nevermind.... I will just fill in the blanks on this one i think haha. Stay tuned!

photo

Eric,

I haven't seen any movement on this for a couple of months. I was curious if you figured anything out regarding this issue?

Thanks,

Zack

photo

Hello everyone,

I would like to provide you guys with some information regardind this topic so you can have a better understanding of what happened.

The first thing, was that I needed some feature in Yellowfin to take screenshots of a chart. Yellowfin does provide us with a feature to do that, but this feature does not work if we use JS Charts.

The workaround, was to use a browser plugin, which solves partially the problem, but using this solution, I need the users to use a browser who has this type of plugin and to know how to install and configure to use. In some cases, we do have some users which does only know about data, and has no understanding of how to do any of that, so this cannot be our response to this.

To manage this issue, I've created some code withing the dashboard code mode to take a screenshot of a specific chart by just pressing a button. It was a job that took a lot of my time creating, and sadly, does not work with all browsers due to some libraries that I couldn't find a similar in one or another web browser. This very solution does work exactly like the yellowfin solution at all, but sadly, it only works with firefox web browser.

Some of our users, simply changed their browsers, but we do have some which does not have the permissions to do this, since their web browsers are controlled by their companies. In this specific case, They simply does not has the ability to take screenshots and this was the main reason for this topic to stay oppened.

If there's another way to achieve this, using some yellowfin feature or a workaround that works better than the one I've created, I would appretiate your help. But if by any reason, there's nothing, you guys can close this topic.

Thanks a lot for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the update, so we did some testing on this and can see with JS charts 9.9 there is a Snapshot option -

84ffd167f98e620c5649a91d38877301

I'm wondering if this functionality might be able to achieve this?

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply.

Sadly, though this option is a very interesting feature, it does not solve our clients needs.

Some users, do need to export a chart image to use on another applications, like photoshop to create folders, animations, presentations and so on. Due to this need, They have to take a screenshot to cut exactly the report.

Windows does have a button to do this, but the users are used to Yellowfin feature which takes this picture with a single button that appears when we put the mouse over a chart.

This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve, but this feature does not work with JS Charts.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo
photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the reply. Doing some testing on this, trying to see the Yellowfin option you're talking about,

the users are used to Yellowfin feature which takes this picture with a single button that appears when we put the mouse over a chart. 

when I hover a chart I only see the tooltip popup -

fdea4329bcfef277dd046599e414e117

Could you provide screenshots of the popup you are seeing for reference?

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Eric,

I could be wrong, but I believe Renato might be referring to the draggable images option:

00fcf0bbbee788a5e4a64cdcb8e74f0d

-Zack

photo

Hi Zack.

That's exactly the option. Here's another example.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

464291eaa59c37b3533b12aa06cc6f19

photo
photo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the clarification, that's a feature I've honestly not used in my five years with the app haha. This could be a limitation of how Yellowfin works with JS charts (currently), but I can have developers investigate the potential of adding this option to that type of content, does this sound like a good way forward here?

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

If there's no other option, I think this can be a start.

Thanks a lot for your help in this.

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo

Eric,

I like the idea of adding it!

Thanks,

Zack

photo
photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the reply, we should be able to get an answer from them pretty quickly on this, and I imagine it would be pretty quick code change as well. One last favor to ask - could you provide a screenshot of one of your JS charts with this function not working / intended behavior?

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay here.

The image below does not have much information, since the button doesn't really appear on those circunstances, however, I think it might be of any help.

Thanks in advace.548f00e64597fdf5c23ca29489059f57

Regards,

Renato Marcello

photo
photo

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the additional info.

Thanks for confirming for me. I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into potentially adding this functionality to a future version of the application. I've attached this ticket to the task and added your organization as an affected client for tracking purposes. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I'll mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

I've gone ahead and created a developer task to look into potentially adding this functionality to a future version of the application. I've attached this ticket to the task and added your organization as an affected client for tracking purposes. Updates to the task will be provided here as they are available. I'll mark this as Idea Logged for now; feel welcome to reply here with any related inquiries.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file