Adding text to a report in a story

Sam shared this question 2 years ago
Answered

I have a single-number chart in a report, infographic-style. I am displaying it in a Story. My problem is that I want to lay text above or below it, but don't see how. I know in a dashboard I could drag in text boxes -- do I have an option like that for either the Story itself or the report chart I've added to it?

Here's the number;

/0876a8556792136282a648eb94f93136

I'd like to add context right under it, "days without an accident" or what have you.

Replies (9)

photo

Hi Sam,

Thanks for reaching out to support. I was able to get text under a number in a story in Yellowfin 9.5, with a numeric display chart.

aebf71a6f670fe87bd711e962be1d367

When added to a story, the "chart label" under the numeric display chart is added as the chart title by default, but you can change the text. There is also freeform text that could be added above or below the chart.

b5f49d743e9d29449e77a07315fb87a7

Is this what you're looking for here?

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to check in to make sure you had what you needed here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Thanks, Eric. I meant something more like this, which I can do in a dashboard to create an infographic-like feel:

/c35a1b60466a86ab64c26ed4ed8c38b3

In a dashboard it's quick to add a custom text box that does that. Is there any workaround to do something similar in a Story? Right now the big number is floating by itself with no context.

photo

Thanks for the clarification here, Sam.

I figured it out! You can do this with a multi-chart canvas, just add a second chart and you get layout options.

7f60c8beaf88dd07d7a41a5a95e9d8d0

7469bdfbfeeb68942635b98e1799f984

Hopefully this will work for you? I know we're working on implementing more Canvas functionality in Stories soon, so hopefully this type of content creation will be a little more intuitive in the near future.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to check in to make sure this solution is working for you?

Thanks, Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

I created another chart and yes, that gave me the ability to overlay text on the canvas as desired. But when I click "add to story" after publishing the report, or add the report from the story itself, I only get my big number, not the accompanying text I added to the canvas. Can you say more about how I can add the report's canvas to the story, not just one of its charts?

photo

Hi Sam,

You need to use the "display canvas" option in order to display the canvas.

0dd5f4504bae0533e75b018cff7c95b4

Thanks, Eric

photo

That did it! Thanks for walking me through this, Eric.

photo

Great to hear, Sam!

I'll go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks, Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file