Installing Yellowfin on a new system with an existing Yellowfin Database

Guest shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I have cloned an existing YF database (MSSQL). After that I have installed YF on a fresh system. In the Installation I configured the "cloned DB". After that I started the webservice and I see that the whole Clone Database is reset to default.

So how can I install YF with an existing DB?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Carsten,

The best way to do this would be the following.

1. Clone the DB as you have done
  2. Install Yellowfin onto a fresh server (using a dummy/temporary MSSQL database - NOT the cloned DB)
  3. Start Yellowfin
  4. Shutdown Yellowfin
  5. Modify the web.xml and change the jdbc connection details to point to the cloned DB - There is more info on the web.xml section here.
  6. Start Yellowfin
  7. Done

Technically on step 5, if you use the Same Database Server / username / pwd but dummy/temp DB, then all you should need to change in the web.xml is the JDBCUrl.

Please let me know if this makes sense, however always try this on a dev environment, with a backup of the YF configuration DB to be sure.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi,

does it also work when the database version is 7.4 and the new installation is 8.0?

photo

Hi Carsten,

No this would not work. The best way here would be to Create a new yellowfin instance using the same 7.4 version using method I mentioned prior and then upgrade it to 8.0.2. This will then be an 8.x version. Please let me know if this makes sense. Version 8 has many other tables included and the upgrade makes several modifications during the process.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Paul,

ok I will do that. Thanks.

Freundliche Grüße

Carsten Lempert

photo

Hi Carsten,

That's great. Please let me know if you need anything else?

Thank you,

Paul

photo

Hi Carsten,

Just checking in to see if you need any further help with this or is everything okay?

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Carsten,

I hope things are going well over there.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file