Possible to adjust the 'Today' filter to local time, not server time?

Ryan Navratil shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

We have a report that users export at the end of the work day every day, so we have set the default date filter to 'Today'.

However, our YF server is on UTC time, so the data in our report moves to tomorrow's date at 5pm local time by default. Users have to manually reset the date filter in order to see today's data after 5pm.

Is there an easy workaround for this? Unfortunately, we've stripped the timestamp from the data, so I only have date, not time, to work with.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Ryan,

Tanks for reaching out to support with your question. Here is a knowledge base article on time zone configuration in Yellowfin:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/timezone-settings-in-yellowfin

It sounds like the data source that is providing this data is the issue, if the data type were timestamp, Yellowfin can "translate" the date appropriately through time zone settings at the user and data source level. Unfortunately, a date is a date, and the lack of information would make it difficult to extrapolate from. There'd probably have to be a special column created outside Yellowfin, before the data is stripped.

It sounds as though it's possible to amend the field so that it includes time though? Otherwise, would it be possible to adjust the server time zone settings?

Could you provide additional information about the report and server configuration (build date RDBMS type etc.) for replication so we might be able to make a developer request to look into this functionality?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to check in to see if you were able to get things sorted here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric-

Unfortunately, no- the issue was on the YF side, considering "today" as being in UTC. So when filtering for "today" against records with timestamps, the default "today" filter returns data for tomorrow's date after 7pm central time

photo

Hi Ryan,

I was able to get "today" filter to apply as desired by configuring time zone settings in YF - Today is 7/18

-Adjusted time zone settings on my YF application server OS to "Samoa" making it "tomorrow"

-Adjusted Data Source Time Zone to "chicago"

eaa30afde39cb63f1eebc934620bccdf-Made a user with time zone "chicago"

-created a report with chicago user, based on chicago data source

67cea68f26fc5127102428b04fc4e4eb

This showed the desired SQL output, despite the server showing a different date.

If the data source and / or user were set to "Australia" or a region outside "today" the SQL output showed "tomorrow"-

1cd2e827a74de2971982410c511f830e

Would you be able to check your data source and report creator user time zone settings to confirm they are set to the region you would like your data reported on?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

HI Ryan,

Just wanted to check in to see if you were able to get things sorted here?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Ryan,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Answered due to inactivity. Feel welcome to re-open with a reply if you have further related issues.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file