Broadcast Status during Server reboot (maintenance, patch, others..)

Chakra shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

We have a bunch of broadcast that run daily at 10PM. Wondering what would happen to them during server reboot (maintenance, monthly patch)?

Will it try to run the report when the system comes back up,or does it just skip that night’s execution and pick up the following day?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Chakra,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question. As a general best practice, if you are going to be doing server maintenance on your Yellowfin instance, I would recommend to make these changes outside of your scheduled broadcast times. You also have the option to stop the Yellowfin service manually, which would delay the broadcast task until the service is restarted. I'd recommend this practice as well, as I myself am unsure of what happens if, say, the "javamail" task is interrupted during a restart.

I can consult with some higher-ups to try to find out the details of this process, would you like to know more?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I'd like to get more information on the process. Thank you!

Also, I'm not much familiar with YF servers or services. Is there a dedicated services in YF that handles broadcast tasks?

photo

Hi Chakra,

I talked to my colleague about this - to clarify, scheduled broadcasts will attempt to be run after the scheduled time, so long as the broadcast has not failed.

If you have a broadcast that is running when the service is stopped or things get reset, the report would be run once the service is restarted.

However, I could see a scenario where, say, the internet connection is disconnected before Yellowfin, and the broadcast fails due to an SMTP or data source connection error. In this case, broadcast would not be restarted.

You can see the history of your broadcasts on the backend via the ReportBroadcastResult table -

7fc15c1609da932e647e1d247f348b49

Does this help answer the question?

Thanks,

Eric

photo

Hi Eric,

Yes. Thanks for confirming and providing additional details. Appreciate it!

Regards,

Chakra

photo

Happy to assist, Chakra, I'll go ahead and mark this question as Answered. Feel welcome to reach out to support with further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file