WMS road layers

John Glick shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Has anyone successfully used a wms server to provide background roads or imagery for GIS maps? if so what wms server have you used?

thanks,

John

Replies (12)

photo

Hi John,

yes we have had clients in the past use a wms server for such purposes, I personally haven't so I can't recommend a server myself, however, after looking through my knowledge base I have found the following:

http://irs.gis-lab.info/?layers=osm - which is an OpenStreetMaps WMS server

Otherwise, most of clients get by using google searches. We actually don't usually recommend wms servers because they are 3rd party and obviously anything can happen to them and we have no control over them.

hope that's of some help.

regards,

David

photo

thanks, that server works decently.

what is the best practice for creating a map with a background that can be exported?

photo

Hi John,

that's great to hear it's OK, thanks for letting us know.

For documentation on how to use the WMS layers in Yellowfin please see this wiki page.

regards,

David

photo

thanks, is it possible to layer wms layers over each other so that they can both show? for example layer roads over a background image?

photo

Hi John,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I have seen some clients use all sorts of detailed layers, though where the get it from is a different story.

From experience WMS servers can be tempormental and only work with specific data sets, so it's something we have moved away from with Geo Packs. Otherwise you have Google Maps.

Sorry for not being able to give you more info, and let me know if there was more I can try and do for you on this.

Regards,

David

photo

I agree, WMS servers are temperamental, I'd love to have another solution. could you elaborate, how would I use a GeoPack to supply background information such as roads? Where are your clients getting their layer info?

photo

Hi John,

Google maps would provide what you're after in this instance.

GeoPacks do not contain that level of data.

So you're kinda stuck with;

-Sourcing your own WMS layer

-Using google maps.

Sorry as I understand these aren't necessarily the desired options.

Regards,

David

photo

that makes sense. unfortunately google maps are out since I can't export them so like you said I'm stuck with WMS which I'm finding out first hand is not very reliable.

photo

Hi John,

Wish I had better news.

Just to add a bit of extra info, I have confirmed with the GeoPack guys, that if the pack contained road polygons, we could handle them, but in reality getting road polygon data might be next to impossible.

Please let me know if you had further questions on this.

Regards,

David

photo

thanks for letting me know that. I could get roads in an intersecting line format, not sure about polygons though.

photo

Yeah, we use polygons to draw the shapes. We could use centroids I guess, but it would just be dots, we could not join the dots.

Sorry we cannot be of further assistance on this, at this point in time.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi John,

Should we close this down?

Thanks,

David

photo

yes, thanks.

-john

photo

thanks John!