JAVA updates

Bradley Dixon shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any impact to our Yellowfin environment given the following announcement:

Oracle announced that effective January 2019, public updates for business, commercial, or production use of Oracle Java SE 8 will require a commercial license and public updates for individual, personal use of Oracle Java SE 8 will remain available at least through the end of 2020. Therefore, customers that remain on Java SE 8 beyond the deadlines will no longer receive updates without a Java SE Subscription.

https://miroconsulting.com/blog/java-updates-will-require-a-commercial-license-for-businesses-after-january-2019/

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes Oracle SE 8 + will require a commercial license effective this month. The options you would have here would be to

1. Either pay for a subscription licence to Oracle and receive any future updates and fixes

2. Stay on the current version you have (but not receive any future updates from Oracle - Probably not recommended if security fixes are required)

3. Move to OpenJDK.

A colleague of mine (Michael has pointed me to a good article on OpenJDK), but to summarise.

- OpenJDK only uses slightly more CPU than Oracle JDK and outperforms the others.

- OpenJDK actually has the best response time (30% better than the worst one, GraalVM)

- OpenJDK JVM uses the most memory. Interestingly though, when looking at a zoomed out graph over a longer period, the behaviour of Oracle JDK and OpenJDK seem erratic and can spike to relatively high values while Zulu and GraalVM seem more stable.

Further details, including how the test was setup can be found in this article.

Considering this info I'd think OpenJDK is almost certainly the best alternative. We have also tested OpenJDK before, so I'm 100% sure it works okay. Finally, I further suspect the impact would be nominal on less active instances, but regardless, anyone who switches to OpenJDK should probably bump up the JVM Max Memory value at least a little bit.

Also quote from this article : "Per Oracle, ‘From Java 11 forward… Oracle JDK builds and OpenJDK builds will be essentially identical… yet with some cosmetic and packaging differences.’"

I hope this helps with moving forward on this and provide a little more information on making a decision on what to do.

Regards,

Paul

photo

Hi Bradley,Hi,

Hope you had a good weekend.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Regards,

photo

yes thank you for your reply

photo

Hi Bradley,

Thanks for getting back to me. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

Leave a Comment

Attach a file