Hide columns according to a user

Renato Marcello dos Reis shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi guys,

I'm trying to achieve a very specific feature and I don't know if Yellowfin will allow me to accomplish, so I'm opening this topic so I can have some help.

What I'm trying to do is to create a report with some fields, but one of these fields are values financial, and those can only be seem by managers. Other users cannot see these values by any means.

I was looking for some data about this, but I found only "access level" feature. The problem with these "access level", is that we can hide the column to some users, but if a user who has access creates a report using these columns, the users who has no access then will eventualy see anyway. The same happen with already created reports.

Can this be done in Yellowfin? Is there a way to hide a column to specific users even if the report is already created?

Thanks in advance.

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Renato,

the behaviour you described of Yellowfin with the "Access Level" feature is the expected behaviour - it is not a bug.

In older Yellowfin versions there used to be the following description in the View Builder UI:

/MeAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

In other words, if User B edits a view that contains column C that is restricted to him/her, then User B won't see column C at all in the view. However, if User A who has no column restriction creates a report with column C in it, then when User B runs the report User B will still see column C, although User B will not be able to edit the report.

And to answer your question of "Can this be done"? No, I don't know of any way to hide a column (in a report) to specific users even if the report is already created.

So I guess you will have to make 2 sets of reports, a private one with the financial values for the managers only, and a public report with no financial values for non-managers.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your answer. That's what I thought. I was just wondering if there was any other way, other than create a same report twice just to avoid one column.

Anyway, you helped me a lot.

photo

OK, thanks Renato, sorry we didn't have exactly what you were after.

regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file