Mandatory Filter Group

Jason Kaczmarek shared this idea 5 years ago
Idea Logged

I have a few reports that will return millions of rows if you don't use a filter, and this volume of data is not useful. However, making an individual filter mandatory doesn't make sense because any one of the filters will suffice. It would be great if you could prevent the report from running unless the user filled-in at least one filter out of a group of filters.

Jason

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Jason,

I understand the request and it makes sense to me, however, I was just wondering as an alternative to it whether it would suffice to set one of the filters to a default value that would reduce the result set:

/3+8sQ7YElSEQQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

please let me know what you think of this suggestion.

regards,

David

photo

David,

I'm trying to prevent the user from making a poor choice. A default value helps with the initial report load; however, it doesn't prevent the user from deleting it and running without filters. Ultimately, if the report takes too long, the user does get that popup that asks if they want to cancel. So there is a way for the user to deal with this scenario. I just feel like having filter groups would lead to a better end-user experience.

Jason

photo

Hi Jason,

Yes I understand how your idea offers something a bit different for the scenario of how to prevent long-running reports, I only mentioned the default value as an alternative just in case you hadn't considered it - as a member of the support team it is my duty to.

I have raised an enhancement request (YFN-12653) for your idea, when it gets assessed I'll let you know the outcome.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file