"soft links" in reports

Joan Poblet shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi,

One of our clients has a content structure by department type, in order to setup users' access rights per department.

Some reports are shared among different departments. So, with the aim of preventing cloning reports, we would like to know whether it is possible to have the report in a hidden master content folder an "publish" it in the proper folders.

It would make much easier the reports maintenance and update.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Joan.

Replies (3)

photo

Hello Joan,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. The best way to come to this type of solution would be to use a Dashboard to distribute the report in question. In my example, I've created some Departmental folders with a folder named Admin, where my "Master" report will reside. This Admin folder is a private folder. I then created some User Groups to follow the folder structure, i.e. Sales, etc. Any departments that will be using this report can be assigned Read permission to the Admin folder, allowing them to see the report further on in this process.

7945a07ce15c53c6aeb00a71446203ec

Next, I'll create and save my Master Report into this folder.

6d533a01ba84880b6ca0cd2f69669ec3

And give access to the Sales group, dictating that this group has only Read access.

effac66d1d6ecdbfa46e32fc1a3e7f25

And create a new Dashboard tab with Master Report added to it. Using the padlock icon, I can Add Subscribers to the dashboard. I'll add the Sales group as a read-only access to the dashboard.

308d7c4a073e0c40df054d9040dc389a

And then switch the Access to Private on the Save screen.

964bd4c350e2f47cbd21d2b4cb7d1159

Now, when logging in as a member of the Sales group, I can access this dashboard to view the report. This will also allow them to open the report but not make any editing changes. Configuring your report in this manner, you need only change the Master report one time, instead of worrying about copying reports, etc.

Does this sound like what you're trying to achieve?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

Many thanks for your quick and detailed information. We will analyse this way of working and how to make it suitable to our client needs, but it looks great! :)

You can close the ticket.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Joan.

photo

Hi Joan,

I'm glad that I could offer some assistance. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions or issues!

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file