Caching a "static" dashboard, best practices

Shery Cheong shared this question 4 years ago
Answered

We have built a "demo" dashboard in Yellowfin that pulls from a set of static tables in our database. The data does not get updated regularly, and shows a preset date range in the dashboard level filter. What is the best way to cache this dashboard so it does not try to query the database each and every time?

Best Answer
photo

Hello Shery,

Thank you for reaching out with this question.

Currently there is no UI option to cache a dashboard.

I would suggest reviewing this Wiki page on Refreshing Report Data. You can configure your report to refresh the data therein on a schedule, which should prevent it from running the SQL Query every time a user opens the report. Note that it's important to consider the frequency of data input when determining scheduled refreshes of reports.

The above option is essentially "Report Caching" and the method that I would use to achieve your desired behavior.

Please let me know if this information was helpful.

Regards,

Jared

Replies (1)

photo

Hello Shery,

Thank you for reaching out with this question.

Currently there is no UI option to cache a dashboard.

I would suggest reviewing this Wiki page on Refreshing Report Data. You can configure your report to refresh the data therein on a schedule, which should prevent it from running the SQL Query every time a user opens the report. Note that it's important to consider the frequency of data input when determining scheduled refreshes of reports.

The above option is essentially "Report Caching" and the method that I would use to achieve your desired behavior.

Please let me know if this information was helpful.

Regards,

Jared

photo

Thank you for your assistance. I noticed there are some reports where the refresh setting is not available because the report has user prompt filters. If I set the "default" filter levels at the report level while giving users the option to change it, will it still cache this report? Please see attached.

photo

Hello Shery,

The report shouldn't re run a query until something prompts it to. Something like manual refresh or running a filter.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Jared

photo

That was what I was expecting to happen, but wasn't able to confirm on my own. Thanks!

photo

Hello Shery,

I will attempt to find any documentation to reinforce this and update you appropriately.

Thanks,

Jared

photo

Hello Shery,

I could not find any documentation that reaffirms whether or not having user prompt filters allows for this method of "report caching". In discussing this with my team we discovered having user prompt filters means that the dashboard will not be saved and therein will not be "cached" you can still use this method on any reports without user prompt filters successfully however.

I would also like to make you aware there is currently a community raised Idea post requesting this exact functionality. I would recommend "Liking" this idea post and following it for any relevant updates.

Regards,

Jared

photo

Thanks for looking into this Jared! I will implement the refresh settings on reports without filters and hopefully that will have a noticeable performance boost for our end users.

photo

Hello Shery,

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this otherwise please let me know we can consider this question answered.

Regards,

Jared

photo

We can close out this question, thanks!

photo

Hello Shery,

I'll close this ticket but if you ever run into any more issues or have any other questions don't hesitate to make a ticket or public question.

Thanks,

Jared

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file