Set entry page for all users - Dashboard vs Browse page

Guest shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Can we have the ability to set the default entry page for all users of the system.

This way when they log in for the first time, we can have them go straight to the browse page. We do not want them to see the dashboard page initially.

We know the user can configure this under their profile settings, but we want to have this configured before they even have an account.

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Carsten,

This Idea has been logged, though there are no immediate plans at this point in time.

At this point in time there are 2 ways to tackle this;

1. Create the users in Yellowfin. Then modify the DB via the SQL (which looks like you already know how to). Just keep in mind, making DB changes is not fully supported, so if any issues arise from this, there may be little we can do.
  2. Create the users in Yellowfin.
    Let each user know how to configure their entry page.
    Keep in mind, when a user first logs in, they get the welcome page, and you have the option to get them to run a storyboard.
    This storyboard is something you can create, so you can tell the users how they should configure their account.

Hope these options are feasible, and thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

We are doing a white-label integration with Yellowfin, and facing the same issue.

Our most basic type of users don't have any access to profile settings, and currently will only use basic reports (and not even dashboards), so letting them change it on their own is not an option.

Can you give us some hints on doing it with SQL as you mentioned?

We are creating the users with the Python web client (, can it be done during that create or with separated web service call?

Or maybe can we add it as argument for in thee URL source for the iFrame like we do with 'hideheader=true'?

Regards,

Yonatan

photo

Hi Yonatan,

Ok so yes there is a way to do this via the DB directly by modifying the ENTRYPAGE value for the user via the PersonConfiguration table, possible values are (DASHBOARD,BROWSE).

Note: Please do this at your own risk and ensure backups and tests are done before making changes to live instances.

However in saying all of this, if you have configured the user roles correctly then a user who does not have the ability to hit the profile page, will not have it set as an entry. So just ensuring the user roles match the functionality you want them to have is going to be your best way forward, it will ensure even new users are fine, and will not require any additional changes.

E.g. Having a user given a role which does not have profile access, will stop their entry page from being set as the profile page.

7ff0504bd3cc4f557434a457bb593f0b

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Let me just clarify: new users get by default the "dashboard" option as the entry page, not the profile page... Which is not what we deed, since basic users only uses single reports for now and we are disabling most of the menus and navigation until we'll get our custom CSS going on..

So users are stuck on dashboards tab - which is empty for most of them.

I've found the tables you've mentioned, but we would like to avoid manipulating Yellowfin internal DB on-line from our back-end server (and not even our ETL process) during CRUD actions in our users and clients modules.

Is there a way to define default entry page for a role or group?

Or perhaps a global variable in Yellowfin DB or in a configuration file we can change only once?

Also, I've tried to add "MIPreReports.i4" to the URL source string retrieved from the server for the iFrame but with no luck..

Regards,

Yonatan

photo

Hi Yonatan,

So I think this isn't that hard of an issue to work around as you really only have 2 options right now;

-Set the record in the entry page in the DB directly

-Make sure you have a dashboard for them to land to on login.

I think having the dashboard is going to provide your best user experience here. Think of a dashboard as landing page, and use that to your advantage.

You can include a report which acts as a 'welcome...here are the basics' .

That report could be multicanvas with text widgets and images.

That report could return rows which are formatted as links to your wiki, embedded videos from YouTube etc..

There is definitely a way to give your users a better login experience, just have to decide on what is right for your implementation.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

David

photo

Hi,

I managed to modify the entry page for my account, but whenever I edit a report if I close it, I am still always redirected to the dashboard page (which kinda makes sense, because it's the "entry" page), but I wish I was redirected to the browse page too.

I totally agree with what you say about having a dashboard from a "consumer" user point of view, but for an editor, it would be more user friendly to go back to the "browse" page.

As an editor I consume very little data from reports and storyboard, but I spend most of my time configuring views and reports, going back and forth between them. And each time I edit one, I have to go through the dashboard page, which is quite annoying.

Besides, from a UX perspective, it's not very coherent : when I close any page, I should go back to where I'm from (the "X" on the top right suggests that we opened something which can be closed).

Not that big a deal, though, just food for thought ...

photo

Hi Josselin, I completely agree with you. When closing the report, you should be brought back to where you were prior.

I've been testing this on 8.0.6, while having my entry page as 'Dashboard', then going to browse and editing a report. Once I save the report, or leave it in draft, and close the report, I'm brought back to the browse page.

...am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

photo
photo

Hi David,

It seems to be working properly now, that’s weird.

I began working with the views, then the reports.

Maybe a cache problem ?

Anyway, everything is fine now, thanks.

Regards

photo

haha all good ! as long as it's working :)

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file