Ability to aggregate on a field in a chart without data being fed from Data section

David Goodrum shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

Currently, there is no way to get an accurate COUNTDISTINCT('field') value in the charts section when the report has several fields. The result is '1'. If you SUM it up it counts the rows from the data section, and doesn't return the actual distinct results in the given field.

Example: I made a table in a report. The table has a column called country code. There are other columns in the table, so in some cases the country code is repeated. There are 112 rows in the table and 76 different country codes.

I added a total to the country code column using count distinct. The total shows 76, as expected. However, I want to create a big number chart to show the number of countries. I added an advanced function in the chart for country code and selected count distinct. I added that to the horizontal axis. The resulting number is 1. I changed the aggregation type to sum and the number changed to 112. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to show 76. I also tried adding a distinct count of country code as a column in the report, then adding that to the chart, but the result is the same. I tried both auto chart and explicitly selecting numeric display. The results were the same.

Replies (1)

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for submitting your idea. I agree there should be a simple way to return a result in isolation in the Charts section.

Here's a visual example for others to see:

31535_image-2019-06-07-11-26-34-540

31534_image-2019-06-07-11-26-45-639

31533_image-2019-06-07-11-28-00-036

If you simply COUNTDISTINCT('Athlete Country') in isolation the result is 53.

31532_image-2019-06-07-11-29-39-860

I think this should be possible to do in the charts section.

The current way to achieve this would be to create a separate report and add it as a co-display in your main report:

/w9Rb0Zfzo3AmAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I've gone ahead and submitted an enhancement request for this.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file