Advanced Function in Charts section for Histogram binning

Tony Hallam shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

Is it possible to create a multiple series histogram or to create a view/transform of a table that contains histograms (referenced to the same bins) for multiple input series?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out. Are you referring to something like an Overlay Chart with Histograms? If you could send a screen shot of what a multiple series histogram would look like (from somewhere outside Yellowfin if need be), I should be able to better determine whether such functionality is possible within the application.

Either way, as it stands you can only use one Metric and one Dimension in Histogram charts as of now. If you are looking for something like an Overlay Histogram Chart, I could change this to an Idea ticket and submit an enhancement request for this. Please let me know if this appears to be what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

An Overlay Chart would be one way of doing it (with options for bars or lines/points). Another way would be to plot multiple bars (side by side) for each histogram bin. It seems at the moment that there is no way to compare multiple series statistically unless you do the pre-processing (statistical analysis) outside of YellowFin.

One thing I was trying to do, was create a transformation or view that calculates histograms values for common bin dimensions. Then a simple bar chart could be used to create what I want.

Cheers

Tony

photo

Hi Tony,

Just so I'm clear in terms of submitting this for an enhancement request, which image attachment is of the final result you're looking to see in Yellowfin? It seems to be the "CaptureLKKL...." one. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Actually, my preference is GGY3t.png. Both GGY3t.png and images.png could be created using existing charts if the histogram binning can be done prior to the chart creation step with an advanced aggregation method.

Cheers

Tony

photo

Hi Tony,

After playing around with this for a bit, I guess the actual idea here then would be to create an Advanced Function in the Charts section that does the Histogram Binning?

To use an example, you'd use a function called Histogram Binning, where you'd choose the Dimension to apply the function to, as well as the Metric to compare against, then this function would contain the Dimension counts for each Metric range, which would give you greater flexibility in terms of where you can use that function.

Am I understanding this correctly? Would this be a viable idea for you?

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I completely follow what you mean with your example.

My interpretation is that you would have all the data to be put into histograms in a single column of your database. It would then have to be categorised by a second column. And the advanced function would split the data into histograms based upon the classifier. If that is correct then yes, that would work. Could you also scale the Y-axis to be percentage of total count as well as absolute count?

Cheers

Tony

photo

Hi Tony,

Your understanding is correct and I think you explained it better, haha. I also like the addition of having a Y-axis option to be percentage of total and/or an absolute count.

Now that we're on the same page here, I've gone ahead and changed this to an Idea ticket. I've also gone ahead and submitted an enhancement request internally.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file